Good Candidate for Tummy Tuck? Post Gastric Bypass, 5'9, 215LBS?

I am 25 years old and had gastric bypass 3 years ago. Prior to surgery, I weighed 320 pounds. I am now 5'9'' & between 210-220. I have maintained my current weight for the past 2 years. I have heard that many plastic surgeons want you to be at your perfect BMI before performing a tummy tuck but I am happy where I am at. However, I would love to remove my excess skin and feel more comfortable in my body. Would I be a good candidate or am I just going to be told I need to lose more weight first?

Good candidate for tummy tuck?

+2

If you are comfortable with your size and shape now, except for loose skin, removal of that loose skin is possible without a full abdominoplasty.  This is a lesser procedure, so a faster recovery, but also a lesser result.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck after Gastric Bypass or Stapling

+1

Since you have reached a plateau in your weight loss and if you are not planning on losing

more weight, then a tummy tuck would be reasonable at this time.

For the best results, consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon. See the below link for

general guidelines.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Plateau after gastric bypass

+1

Thanks for your question.  If you have plateaued in your weight for 2 years after gastric bypass I think it is time to discuss your contouring options with a board certified plastic surgeon.  If he/she believes you need to loose more weight before surgery-I am sure they will discuss it with you.  Good luck and congratulations on your weight loss.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

High lateral tension abdomenoplasty

+1

You are a good candidate for a high lateral tension abdomenoplasty .  With this technique you can continue to lose weight and you will still remain tight if done correctly.  Make sure your surgeon shows you a lot of photos.

Gregory A. DeVita, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck versus laser

+1

If you have lost weight and you are now at a stable weight, the it would likely be okay to proceed with surgery.  However, if you have much more weight to loose, then it may be best to wait.  Without pictures or seeing you in person, it is impossible to give you specific advice.

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD