Age 25 and lost 100lbs with diet and exercise. 5ft4, 150lbs: Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

Hi! I'm 25 years old and I've lost around 100 pounds with diet and exercise. I'm 5'4 and around 150 pounds now. My question is this: I'm too fat to get a tummy tuck? I really don't want to have lipo done, I want to lose the remaining weight with diet and exercise. I really want to get a boob job and a tummy tuck. I'll have the next month off from work so this will be the perfect time. What do you think? Thanks a lot.

Tummy tuck after 100 pound weight loss

+2

Congratulations! Yes, if the skin hasn't snapped back, then a tummy tuck can usually fix this.  A breast augmentation with or without lift can be done at the same time. If you haven't had children but plan on it, then you may want to ask for the tummy tuck without muscle tightening.To be sure which combination of procedures is right for you, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

100 pound weight loss and questions about a tummy tuck

+2

After having lost 100 pounds, it is likely that you have significant laxity of your abdominal wall with probable muscle separation for which a tummy tuck would be the treatment of choice. However, without an examination, this is only conjecture.

You need to see one or more board certified plastic surgeons in your area for a thorough consultation. That way you can find out what would be recommended for you.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

+2

Based upon photos you are a very good candidate but in person examination is needed to make sure. Seek in person exam with a boarded PSs in your area. 

Ready for a tummy tuck

+2

From your photos, you look to be a good candidate for an abdominoplasty  - it sounds like you are planning to lose even more.  If that is the case, wait until you are at your goal/ideal weight and have stabilized there before surgery.  Liposuction of the flank or love handle area at the same time can help contour your midsection.   Good luck and congratulations!

Michelle Spring, MD

Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

+2

A Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) is best done in women who completed their families, have sable weight who have loose and excess tummy skin and or have stretched out or separated tummy muscles and have realistic cosmetic goals. If ths description describes you, you would do quite well with a Tummy Tuck.  Ths procure can be easily combined with a breat augmentation for a very rewarding transformation. 

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Congratulations on your successful weight loss;  from that standpoint ( and viewing your photographs)  you are an excellent candidate for the tummy tuck procedure. This procedure will serve to remove the loose skin and adipose tissue as well as “tighten up” the abdominal wall muscles. I would suggest that you read about the option of extended tummy tucks as well.

At this point, timing of the procedure will depend on your life circumstances;  generally, it is best to do this procedure when you have completed pregnancies (if planned) and have reached a long-term stable weight.

When the time is right, a few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

+2

From your pictures you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck. You are close to, if not at, your ideal weight. You have excess skin and muscle weakness. These are the ideal indications for a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty. Liposuction is always a good adjunct to a tummy tuck, and I would recommend it in the flanks (love handles).

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck after Weight Loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. Once your weight has stabilized for some months that

would be the best time to do a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) procedure.

Abdominoplasty candidates have excess abdominal skin which may sag, a disproportionate

or protruding abdomen, weakened or separated abdominal muscles, or excess fat

concentrated in the abdomen.

From what you have said, it seems like you plan on losing more weight through non-

surgical procedures. In that case, you should wait until you have reached your ideal weight

and after it has stabilized before considering a tummy tuck. Otherwise, you seem to be a

great candidate for this procedure.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS