Good Candidate for Tattoo Removal by Excision? (photo)

I want to join the Air Force but I can't have this tattoo on my neck. The recruiter said laser removal might not remove it completely and sometimes people get sent back home from basic training when their faded tattoos are discovered, so excision is pretty much the only good option. This tattoo is only about 2 years old. I know there will be scarring but if it's possible to get it completely removed I'm ok with that.

Excision for tattoos

+2

excision is a commonly performed procedure for tattoos. it works very well is the tattoos are small and in an area where the scars can be easily hidden. this is a fairly large tattoo on your neck and it might not heal very well even with what we call "staged excision" another option is to just cut out the tattoo design as it is a character and allow it to heal on its own. this way u dont have to worry about a long and a large scar that can take months to heal and will limit ur neck movement. the down side is the scar from this procedure will be the shape of the tattoo but the ink will be no longer there and no one can tell u that u have tattoo ink in your skin.

Excision of tattoos

+1

I have successfully excised tattoos on the back of the neck.  Because of the size of your tattoos, they would likely require at least two staged surgical excisions, done at separate times.  I usually wait at least two months in between staged excisions.  Excision will remove the tattoo in its entirety but will replace the tattoos with permanent surgical scars.  It can be accomplished under local anesthesia alone. 

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon