Would I be a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck? Or liposuction? I'm seeking a solution to my frowning belly button. (photo)

I am 32 yrs old, 5'5", 128lbs. Have had 2 pregnancies and 2 c sections. Went from 175lbs (before babies) to 125lbs (after pregnancies) so my skin has been through a lot! Would love some input on possible solutions for my ugly belly button.

Would I be a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck? Or liposuction? I'm seeking a solution to my frowning belly button.

+1
The amount of excess skin typically determines the length of the incision required to remove that excess skin. As a general rule, a short incision only allows a small amount of skin removal. A longer incision and resulting scar (as in a full tummy tuck) will allow the surgeon to remove more skin and tighten the entire abdominal wall.  This is the important thing to consider when looking at this type of surgery. Don't compromise the results with a shorter scar if it won't deliver the results you want. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in tummy tucks and body contouring should be able to show you what you can expect. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

+1

A minitummy tuck may be reasonable, but an exam would provide better information.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

I'm seeking a solution to my frowning belly button.

+1

If your only concern is the bellybutton shape, that can be addressed with an umbilicoplasty.

I really can't tell from your photos alone if you need a TT which is done to tighten loose skin.

You would do best to get a consultation and exam and then the surgeon can answer all your questions.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Mini tummy tuck vs lipo

+1

Dear Jill,

Thanks for submitting your picture, however , to give you an appropriate and complete recommendation you have to submit a side view as well. In any case, from your picture it looks like you are a good candidate for liposuction. In regard to your belly button, unfortunately, only tummy tuck can improve on it's shape due to the skin laxity. Most importantly, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons and check the before and after pictures to make sure that you like the results.

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for lipo or mini tummy tuck?

+1

It is difficult to give you definitive advice with your photo. Many patients who have had 2 pregnancies (although not all) benefit from tightening of the abdominal wall musculature and excision of excess skin which is done with a tummy tuck. If you don't need those things then liposuction may be sufficient. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.

Best of luck to you

David Cangello, MD