Would I Be a Good Candidate for a Mini Tummy Tuck?

I have had my children at the young age of 17 and the age of 20.I have stretch marks on my stomach but after losing weight I feel like stomach is begining to look worse.Im in good physical shape and have good muscle definition in upper abdomen but the lower abdomen never tightens up. In fact the skin there looks more wrinkly.Im not looking to get rid of ALL stretch marks, as there are some above my belly button but think if they could just be smoothed out, I'd be happy.I dont want wrinkly belly.

Mini or Traditional Tummy Tuck

+1

During childbirth, there is a possibility of the abdominal muscles tearing, which could explain why your lower abdominal muscles never tightened up. During tummy tuck surgery, excess abdominal skin is removed and the abdominal muscles are tightened. Therefore, you sound like a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery, but without a consultation it is hard to say whether you would benefit more from a traditional abdominoplasty or a mini tummy tuck surgery. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with both traditional and mini tummy tucks so that he or she can help guide you in the direction.

Candidate for a mini tummy tuck

+1

A mini tummy tuck will tighten the muscles of the lower abdomen and remove the excess skin below the belly button, the stretch marks above the belly button and in the skin that is moved downward below the belly button will remain. If you are willing to live with those limitations, then the mini might be an option for you.

Julio Garcia, MD

Shall I have a Mini-Tummy Tuck

+1

Over 90% of mothers would benefit from a Standard / Full Tummy Tuck than a Mini Tummy Tuck. When you describe stretch mark damaged skin above the belly button ( suggesting extreme stretch and skin excess above the belly button) and muscle flabbiness (suggesting both muscle stretch and separation) the only real answer to correcting these is a Full Tummy Tuck. Choosing to have a Mini Tummy Tuck here will result in disappointment. 

Mini vs Full TT, what is best?

+1

To give you the best answer, a photo would have been very helpful.  That said, in general, a mini TT is a very limited procedure and works best in only a select group of patients and give only a limited result of the lower abdomen.  For patients with muscle separation or loose skin above the belly button a full TT is the best option to achieve the best result.  Check with a board certified plastic surgeon to see what would be best for you.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Mini Tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck - what's best for me?

+1

A mini tummy tuck and full tummy tuck both require a scar in the bikini line.  The length of the incision really depends on the degree of skin laxity.  A good candidate for the mini is if you have a small degree of laxity beneath the belly button and your a pretty happy with your upper abdominal contour.  You can certainly add liposuction or laser liposuction to further enhance your results.

The main advantage of the full tummy tuck (the more common procedure) is that you can tighten the muscles along the entire abdomen and you can also resect more loose tissue, i.e. more stretch marks.  I sounds like like you are pretty happy with how you look above the belly button, so you might be a mini candidate.

Good luck with your decision.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Mini tummy tuck vs. full tummy tuck: which surgery is better

+1

The mini tummy tuck procedure is a surgical technique to remove unwanted skin and fat from the lower abdomen (region below the belly button) without releasing or moving the belly button.  This procedure has a very limited benefit, and in reality is only a good choice for a very specific type of patient (the person with perfect abdominal muscles and wall tightness and loose skin and fat limited to a small area just above the pubic area.)  If your skin, fat, or stretched out abdominal muscles includes any area at the level of your belly button or above, then you should have a full tummy tuck to get the sensual shape and contour to maximize the aesthetics of your body.  This is a simplified way to think of it.  A detailed evaluation and discussion with a board certified plastic surgeon will help you create the perfect surgical plan to rejuvenate your body and create that sexy, sensual result you desire.

John G. Apostolides, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

It is not possible to give you could advise without direct examination or pictures.

Generally speaking, in my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Mini tummy tuck

+1

I am not a big fan of mini tummy tucks because most patients require tightening of the muscles above and below the umbilicus and are usually also botherd by lose skin above the umbilicus.  These are all best treated by a full tummy tuck.