Will I Be a Good Candidate for a Lollipop Incision? (photo)

I have been suffering from chronic back pain for many years and have been thinking of getting a breast reduction for a long time now. I'm 21 years old, 5'8, 140lbs and wear a size 32 E bra. I would like to go down to about a size C cup and was wondering if I'd be a good candidate for a lollipop incision to avoid the "anchor" scarring. I have also heard of a periareolar breast reduction where they just cut around the nipple. Would I be a good candidate for this?

Will I Be a Good Candidate for a Lollipop Incision?

+1

A reduction using a vertical (lollipop) incision should be a good choice for your surgery. I do not think enough volume will be removed to change your back issues, though.

All the best. 

"Anchor scar" is outdated. Periareolar ineffective. Vertical breast reduction best.

+1

If you have been wanting to do it for a long time, chances are you will be satisfied with your decision.  The inverted-T "anchor" scar is now obsolete.  The periareolar sounds good (just a scar around the areola) but does not adequately correct sagging and tends to give a flattened appearance.  The vertical "lollipop" technique is the goldilocks procedure you are looking for and most likely to give you the best result and shape.  Just be sure to see an experienced plastic surgeon.  I attached a link to this part of my website if you wish to check out photos.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift/reduction and back pain

+1

your breasts do not seem large enough in the pics to cause significant chronic back pain, and if anything, you might only need a small reduction/lift whether lollipop or other, to improve the volume and shape. please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and get examined and review some before and after pictures to learn about the resulting scars and the overall results of this procedure.  

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction Options?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You may be an excellent candidate for breast lifting surgery; you will need to consider the pros/cons of this type of surgery. You should especially consider the presence of scars as the significant trade-off.   Yes, the “lollipop” incision may be a very good option in your case.  I would suggest that yougive careful consideration to timing of any surgical intervention in relation to life circumstances ( such as your age, psychosocial situation, planned pregnancies…).

Also, based on your pictures,   it is hard to know whether your “chronic back pain” is related to  breast size or position and whether an operation will necessarily improve this situation.

I would suggest in person consultation with well expensed board-certified plastic surgeons. Best wishes.

Lollipop Breast Lift - Good Option for Most

+1

A lollipop incision breast lift, also called mastopexy, would be an ideal technique for you and would allow as much reduction and perkiness as you desire. To see some typical before and after photos of what to expect please see my web site.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Small breast reduction or lift incisions

+1

The procedure you'd need is really not a true functional breast reduction, but more of a mastopexy (breast lift) which may remove a modest amount of weight but really addresses the shape of the breast. With you moderate breast size and fairly good starting shape, you'd certainly be able to perform your surgery with one of the short scar varieties like a "lollipop" incision. It might be a little harder to do a true periareolar (a "Benellli" procedure) incision and get the same predictable result.

Robert Oliver Jr., MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Best incision pattern for breast lift

+1

There are many possible causes of back pain, and I am not sure that your symptoms are caused entirely by your breasts.

That said, if you desire a significant reduction, you will probably be disappointed by the results of a periareolar technique.  I do think you could benefit from a variant of the vertical or "lollipop" technique.  An accurate physical exam by an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon would be important in determining the operative strategy.

John Q. Cook, MD

Breast reduction options

+1

From your photos, you do not look to be large enough for the symptoms to be coming frm the breasts.  An in person exam is critical here.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Lollipop incision

+1

Your breasts do not look that large or ptotic( saggy). It is best to go for an exam in person to be properly examined.