I'm 27,average built, 5'11,187lbs,active runner, not obese. Would I Be a Good Candidate for Buccal Fat Removal? (photo)

I'm 27,average built, 5'11,187lbs,active runner, not obese. No one in my family has as chubby cheeks as mine. It's been like that since I can remember. People used to tell me that my cheeks will go away in my early 20s, but it's only getting worse. I've tried everything: from topical fat burners to running 100+ miles per week to clenbuterol. Intense sports makes my face a little bit thinner everywhere except for cheeks. It's really lowering my confidence. Would I benefit from buccal fat removal?

Good candidate for surgery

+3

Yes, you would be a very good candidate for surgery.  The ideal plan for you would be:

• chin implant
  • neck liposuction +/- submentoplasty/platysmaplsty
  • buccal fat removal

Chin Implant and Submental Liposuction with possible Buccal Fat Pad Excision

+2

Hello Dmartu,

Thank you for sharing your photographs.

Sculpting your face with a natural looking outcome is a smooth combination of submental liposuction and chin implant that could be supplemented with a conservative buccal fat removal.

Not without a physical examination that a definitive answer could be given concerning a buccal fat pad excision.

So, I encourage you to seek a consultation with an extensively experienced surgeon who will guide you through the process and you will be able to make a solid decision where buccal fat removal may be spared.

Best of Luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Chin Implant and Liposuction of the Neck

+2

Thanks for posting your photos. You have a very small, underprojecting chin and lipolysis (extra fat) in the neck below the chin. I would recommend seeking a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who could assess your chin and neck and determine if you would be a good candidate for liposuction of the neck (also called submental liposuction) and a chin augmentation. This would be down through the placement of a silicone chin implant through a small incision underneath the chin, one which heals quite well. Liposuction would give you better definition and shadowing around your jawline, so that your face doesn't blend right into your neck. 

At the same time, feeling your buccal spaces with two fingers may help the surgeon determine if you have excess fat in these areas. Buccal fat removal should be reserved only for those patients who truly have excessive fat in the buccal spaces, as removal of this fat from individuals who do not need it may cause their cheeks to look more gaunt as they age. Looking at your photos, I suspect that strengthening the lower third of your face would give you that stronger, more masculine jawline you are seeking and would reduce your focus on your cheeks. 

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon