Good Candidate for Breast Reduction?

I am 40 years old and have wanted a reduction from a 32 DDD to a full C since my late teens. My concern is the scarring, as I have had an ectopic pregnancy which resulted in a keloid scar that never faded. I do keep in mind that the surgery was performed by an OBGYN and not a PS, but I'm fearful of the scars on my breasts having a Frankenstein effect. Any advice on whether I should proceed? The end game is to be comfortable, have less back pain, but still have attractive breasts.

Small breast reduction

+1

Reducing a 32 DDD to a full C corresponds to 300 gram removal.  Most likely this will not be covered by your insurance policy and you will pay for it yourself.  A reduction this small can be done through a circumareola approach leaving only a scar around the areola.  You will not need a boat anchor shaped scar or lollipop incision.  There is a new technique called The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift that reshapes your breasts and transfers the weight of your breasts to the underlying muscle.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and scars

+1

I have performed over 2000 breast reductions: everyone who has had one is glad they had it done.  The scars can be significant. In my experience about 2% of patients return for a scar revision.  Scar revisions work well for hypertrophic scars but less well for true keloids.

If you are truly uncomfortable (which sounds like the case with DDD breasts) you should get an opinion form a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Scarring concerns in breast reduction

+1
See a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation. Many patients who report keloidal scarring do not have this condition but, instead, have hypertrophic scars. If you tend to hypertrophy, know that there are various modalities including silicone gel, sheeting or injections to flatten out the scar.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Reduction Candidate and Concerns about Scars?

+1

Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. Your goals and concerns seem very reasonable. As you mentioned, your previous scarring history does not necessarily translate into exactly what you can expect scars to look like after breast reduction surgery.  On the other hand, unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications associated with breast reduction surgery.

Ultimately, most patients undergoing breast reduction surgery have decided to accept scarring as long as their overall goals in regards to size, shape, contour and symmetry are met.   Ultimately it will become a very personal decision that only you can make. Part of this decision-making process may factor in your psychosocial situation as well.

When the time is right, do your due diligence and select your plastic surgeon carefully. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

Breast reduction and scars

+1

The first thing that you should do is go for a consultation with a surgeon. Let them evaluate your previous scar and from that they can make a plan to work with you and the potential new incisions from your reduction.

Scars and Breast Reduction

+1

Based on the information you have given, a scar would be a good trade for smaller breast.  We like to follow up with our patients every 4 to 6 weeks to manage the scars until they mature.  We recommend patients to avoid sun exposure to the area until totally healed.  Contact a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) to discuss your concerns and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD