Would I Be a Good Candidate for Breast Reduction when I Turn 18?

People say be happy with what God gave you. But if you had two watermelons hanging on your chest, you wouldnt be happy neither. I hate my breast size. It is way too big for my frame, age, and it hurts like crazy. Im an official "sloucher" because I can not stand up straight. I think I am F or possibly a G cup size and I am 17 years old, 18 in april 2014. I weigh around 130lbs and my height is 5'2 m 17 years old. 18 in April 2014.

Timing for Breast Reduction

+1

It does sound like you're a good candidate for breast reduction.  In the hands of a skilled, experienced, board certified plastic surgeon, it's very likely you will be overjoyed with your new figure after surgery.

The question about timing is important.  The number one determining factor is not whether you're 17, 18 or older, it's when your breasts have stopped growing and you're physically and emotionally ready.  If your size has been stable for a year or so, you might consider arranging consultations with prospective surgeons now.  Particularly if you have the support of your parents, you may have the option to proceed sooner than age 18.

Since you have undoubtedly endured unwanted attention for some time, you can probably imagine that a change in your breast size may cause attention too.  This is something you might want to take into consideration.  Some young women go ahead with surgery and cope well with the fact that the change attracts some glances.  The sheer delight of a reduction in size outweighs the impact of a few stares for many!  Others decide to wait until a summer vacation rolls around, or a break between high school and college, to start fresh.  A good plastic surgeon can help you with input on the psychological as well as physical aspects of breast reduction.

I wish you all the best!

Eliott Jacobs, M.D.

Breast reduction in a teenager

+1

Dear Angel,

You poor thing!  You have true juvenile breast hypertrophy and are indeed a candidate for breast reduction surgery...NOW.  If you are that physically and psychologically affected by your immense breast size, there is no need to wait until age 18, as long as your parents agree and would consent to your surgery and your breast growth has finished.  I disagree with waiting until you graduate from high school.  Your senior year of high school should be your best and most enjoyable.  Why dampen it with physical and psychological pain?  You will likely be much more agile, active and involved after a reduction.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Most likely

+1

You are not alone! Many young women are in a similar situation. Determining when to perform a breast reduction in younger patients is most important factor. If your weight and height is stable and your bra size hasn't changed in  a year, it would be appropriate to proceed with surgery

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast reductions can help you

+1

and when you turn 18, at least you can consider doing this for yourself.  There will be insurance co-pays, etc and ideally, you should have your parents behind you on this.  But the darkside of reductions include the inability to breast feed, loss of nipple sensation, breast asymmetry, and bad scars.  If you're willing to accept this, then you should have a great outcome.

Curtis Wong, MD

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the physical and psychosocial problems your disproportionately large breasts are causing you. 
It is probable that you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for your frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

Despite what “people” say, there is absolutely nothing wrong with  undergoing breast reduction surgery assuming it is being performed for the right reasons and with safety concerns paramount.

In my practice, timing of breast reduction surgery is determined on a case-by-case basis. It is not too early to do your homework and learn as much as possible  about  breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Hopefully you have the support of your parents as you do your homework.
Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
 When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

I hope this,  and the attached link, helps.

Breast reduction

+1

Based upon your description it sounds like you might be a good candidate for a breast reduction. Best to go for a consult with your parent's permission.

Candidate for a breast reduction

+1

A breast reduction should be well indicated and medically necessary in your particular situation.  Most patients who have this procedure and are very happy as they get almost immediate relief from physical symptoms.  

Breast reduction at 18

+1

We feel that breast reduction at 18 is fine, especially after senior year, before you go away to school and have a natural break in your scedule and transition with friends. By 18 you also have the maturity to understand breast scars and the potential of reduced success breast feeding. A consultation well before summer will allow time for insurance predetermination.

Yes a reduction is possible

+1

Some of my happiest patients are those who have had breast reductions. The surgery can be life changing and there is no need to suffer with gigantic breasts. Go for a consultation now, why wait?

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Young women can functionally benefit from a breast reduction.

+1

Even before the age of 18 some women that are plagued by the difficulties of carrying around excessively large breasts benefit from breast reduction. I think you will find it a life-changing operation.