Would I Be a Good Candidate for Asian Double Eyelid Surgery? (photo)

I'm 17 right now, but when i turn 18 i plan on getting Double eyelid surgery to widen my eyes, I'm NOT asian but because of my eyes I guess i give off that appearance. Would asian double eyelid surgery work for me? or would another procedure work? Also who would be the best Doctor in Orlando that specializes in these types of procedures?

Asian eyelid surgery for a non asian person

+1

In general you can use asian eyelid surgery to improve asian characteristics depending on what you want. If you are missing a double eyelid fold then recreating this fold can give your more of a caucasian appearance. Epicanthal folds can also be changed to appear more caucasian and open the eye more in the horizontal direction. I would wait until your 18 before considering this obviously and even still I would consult with your parents and people that are close to you. I would also suggest getting multiple opinions as well, like at least 5 or more plastic surgeons.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Double eyelid surgery

+1

I can see what you are saying.  There are a number of good surgeons in Orlando who can give you the changes you are looking for for your eyes.  My recommendations is to wait until you're eighteen and then do you research, get consultations, etc.  Between now and the time you're of age the providers in your area may have changed and you may have  gone away for school.  A closer photo of your eyes with you sitting up looking straight ahead would help the assessment.

Best of luck

Dr. Chase Lay

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian eyelid surgery can work for non-Asians

+1

Patients with hooded upper lids or "mongolian folds" are good candidates for surgical correction. Patients with Native American ancestry frequently are seen with this type of eye and can have the eyes altered surgically. In California patients under the age of 18 require parental accompaniment so I'll withhold individual comments on your case.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Candidate for Asian eyelid surgery?

+1

I like to formulate my intended reply before I see what others have advised.  In this case, I agree completely with the advice others have given.  Photos are NEVER a substitute for an in person consultation and in this case, the photo supplied really is inadequate to tell.  From the look of it, I cannot tell whether surgery would be an option for you.  But I am located in the Tampa Bay area and would be happy to see you in person if you are so inclined.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

You have the right idea.

+1

However, the photo you have provided is not so good.  A close up without the hat would be very helpful.  A personal consultation is more to the point.  It is tuff to tell in these photos but it looks like you have right upper eyelid ptosis.  The important issue is that you find yourself a highly competent, ethical oculoplastic surgeon who knows how to deal with upper eyelid ptosis.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory that will help you find a well qualified surgeon (asoprs dot org).