Would I Be a Good Candidate for a Breast Reduction?

I am 28-29 inches under my bust, about 37 inches around my bust withut a bra or support. I am 5 foot 3, almost or barely 5 foot 4. Would I be a good candidate for breast reduction? I have a bra that's a 32dd (its really a DDD but it runs a cup size smaller) and its too small !!!!! (I don't know why, but Im always too big for the bras I'm measured to wear.) So what do you think? My back hurts, my shoulders hurt much more. I aready have scoliosis. Sometimes I have to take Ibuprofen 800.

Good Candidates for Breast Reduction

+1

Yes, you sound like you would be a good candidate for Breast Reduction.Here are some generalizations as to who are good candidates:

Candidates for Breast Reduction surgery are women who wish to have smaller breasts to achieve a more proportional appearance or to alleviate physical discomfort.  Breast reduction can correct symptoms from excessively large, heavy breasts that may cause the inability to do certain exercises, or create back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap shoulder indentations and chafing or rashes under the breasts.  Women experiencing these discomforts may benefit from Breast Reduction, also called Reduction Mammoplasty.  Furthermore, large breasts may interfere with normal daily activities or exercise and will be more comfortable when reduced.  Women who feel that their excessive breast size decreases a sense of attractiveness and self confidence, or results in unwanted attention are also candidates.

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

Based on your description of cup size and symptoms you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. It would be in your best interest to first be evaluated by your primary care physician and spine doctor  to rule out other causes of your symptoms. Once this has been done consult with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Determining whether one is an appropriate candidate for a breast reduction

+1

From the bra/cup size that you list, bra related problems and the signficant symptoms that you are experiencing, a breast reduction could be quite appropriate for you. My suggestion is that you be formally evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon who would take your history, examine you, then make (appropriate) recommendations including risks, complications and expectations.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast reduction

+1

Sounds like you  may be a good candidate for a breast reduction but I could not be sure without a formal exam.  Different insurance carriers require different things.

How to determine if you are a candidate for breast reduction

+1

BCBS uses a scale called the schnur scale to evaluate candidates for this procedure. It is difficult to asses your candidacy without your full vitals such as height and weight and this would be done at the time of consultation.

While you certainly sound like an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery,

+1

there are a couple of important points that would have to be addressed in your evaluation.  My breast reduction patients tend to be among the most satisfied because in addition to looking better and more proportional, they also feel better and can be more active after surgery.  Properly done, breast reduction can often relieve the symptoms of back, neck and shoulder pain that plague many women with large breasts.  An important consideration pre-operatively is the patient's overall body mass index, or BMI.  If the weight to height ratio is too high, surgery is better postponed until the patient can lose weight.  You didn't mention your weight, and you also didn't mention your other medical history and whether or not you are a smoker.  These are all important considerations that an experienced surgeon needs to know before recommending surgery to you...

Michael H. Rosenberg, MD
White Plains Plastic Surgeon

Excellent Candidate for Breast Reduction

+1

It sounds as if you are an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery, assuming that your general state of health is good.  Any woman who wears a DDD cup bra and has back and should pain which requires high doses of NSAIDS should generally benefit from a reduction mammaplasty.

John Whitt, MD

Good Candidate for a Breast Reduction

+1

Yes! from your description. I recommend you see in person a boarded plastic surgeon, like Dr John Sherman in NYC. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Indicators for need of Breast Reduction

+1

You have large breasts that do not fit large size bras and pain in the shoulders and back. These are excellent reasons for a reduction. If removing your bra or resting your breasts on a table relieves your pain, you have even more need for a reduction. Your next step is to consult a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for breast reduction

+1

While more information and an exam is needed to determine if you are a candidate for breast reduction, the story you give has all the elements that point in that direction since you obviously have large breasts that are symptomatic.

You can try cradling your breasts in your arms and see if your discomfort is relieved or goes away completely to estimate the effects of a redution surgery. You don't say anything about your weight or your general lifestyle. I encourage my patients to get into the most healthy and stable lifestyle (habits, diet, exercise, activities) that they can.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD