Would I Be a Good Candidate for Braces?

The gap is about 1mm in size and it does bother me. I do not feel confident at all with my smile and I was wondering if braces would fix the problem. Apart from that, I have a small overbite (teeth protrude forward. I have a couple of gaps on my bottom teeth as well. Would braces be a good idea?

Great candidate

+2

The AAO says that 80% of the populations can benefit from orthodontic treatment. I am certain you would fine benefit in treatment. You will want to review your obligations prior to deciding if you want to persue treatment.

I recommend you asking yourself if you could snap you fingers and fix one thing today, what would it be? This is help ensure that item is fixed to your satisfaction.

If you have a tongue component, seeing a speech therapist will be of value to help retrain your tongue, IF this is a component that would support your long tern orthodontics result.

Chesterfield Orthodontist

Braces or Invisalign can fix your spaces

+2

Without accurate records, I can't say 100% what is best, but off of your pictures and my intuition, you would be a candidate for both Invisalign OR braces....in my opinion, Invisalign would be faster for your particular case bases off of the pictures, potentially less than one year. Your spaces may be from poor tongue posture from being tongue-tied, a mouth-breather, etc. Or, you may have never retained a good tongue posture. Seeing a speech therapist to assume a resting tongue posture at the roof of your mouth may be of great benefit long term to maintain your result, in addition to proper retainer wear.

Mazyar Moshiri, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist

Yes orthodontics would be a good way to close your gap

+2

From your pictures it looks like your teeth tip out toward your lip.  This can be treated with invisalign or braces.  JUst be aware that your tongue can cause this to happen.  You may have a tongue-thrust habit when you swallow.  Be sure to have your airway checked as well before you retract your teeth which could cause your tongue to be forced back compromising your airway and possibly the joints of your jaw.

Martin Frankel, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Braces or Invisalign can fix the gaps, but beware the tongue!

+2

Braces or Invisalign can fix the gaps, but beware the tongue! The gap in the front is the most common and annoying problem of spacing because it is so front and center.  Based on your pictures either braces or Invisalign could solve your space problem but you have to ask why the space is there in the first place.  It could be there because of poor root positions or because the tongue is putting pressures on the front teeth.  An evaluation by an orthodontist should answer the question.  Then you would understand what treatment would give you the best permanent result.

Keeping your gap closed after orthodontic treatment

+1

Closing space with braces or Invisalign is a common and straightforward part of regular orthodontics. Orthodontists do it every single day. The hardest part of treatment when a space between the front teeth has been closed is KEEPING it closed. A space between your front teeth, officially known as a "diastema," tends to re-open after treatment and must be retained permanently. In my office we bond a very small piece of gold braided wire between the two teeth to hold them together. Another retainer is then constructed to keep the rest of the upper teeth straight. This permanent retainer complicates flossing, but it is the only way to keep a midline diastema closed.

Greg Jorgensen, DMD, MS
Albuquerque Orthodontist