Who is a Good Candidate for Body Jet Liposuction?

I am curious to see who is the best candidate for the water assisted liposuction and on average how much fat can be removed compared to the traditional way.

Candidate for body jet liposuction

+3

If one is a candidate for liposuction, than any of the different equipment used to do liposuction could be employed by a surgeon depending on their preferences. Some prefer pure tumescent liposuction, others use power liposuction, while there is VASER, Laser-assisted liposuction including Smart Lipo and body jet. It is controversial whether one type provides better results than another. There may be some more tightening or smoothening that can occur of the skin overlying the liposuctioned area with laser-assisted Smart Lipo, as an example, but these studies need to be redone to see if the results can be duplicated.

Body jet vs traditional liposuction

+2

While the companies that make "newer" liposuction equipment would like to sell you on how much better they are than traditional modified tumescent liposuction, there are no scientific studies to support these claims. The best results come from combining the best surgeon with a patient with great skin elasticity and only spot areas of reduction, regardless of the technique used. Liposuction isn't for weight loss and doesn't work for anybody with poor skin elasticity.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Maximum safe fat removal with lipo does not depend on method

+2

While I don't do the water jet technique for lipo, I do not believe the technique affects the limits of how much fat is safe to remove. All versions of liposuction use some version of a 'wet" technique, which minimizes blood loss. This is true for laser, VASER, power-assisted, and "traditional" techniques. About 15 years ago there were some serious complications being reported from removing too much fat, and it was determined that 5 liters was the limit. Since that guideline was adopted, it has become a safe procedure but we are starting to see adverse events again now because people are pushing the limits with newer techniques. I would suggest looking into more than one of the available techniques before deciding which way to go.

Richard Baxter, MD

What is Body Jet liposuction?

+1

Body-Jet is a machine. It allows the surgeon to place the local anesthesia solution (water, hence the term water-assisted is also used) in a unique way. This method of placement of the fluid is more comfortable and yet, faster than the more traditional way of placing the fluid. I use the analogy of a soaker hose vs a power wash. The traditional way is like the soaker hose; it's done slowly, but paradoxically it is also more uncomfortable. With Body Jet the fluid is pulsed in under pressure, and it doesn't take as long to get the necessary amount in place. Patients that I've treated who have experienced both ways report that it's much more comfortable getting the fluid in place with the Body Jet.

The second unique aspect of the Body Jet machine is that the surgeon can continue to bathe the fat space with more local anesthesia simultaneously with the suctioning process. This means any sensitive spot is dealt with immediately.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Good Candidate for Body-Jet

+1

The best candidates for Body-Jet or water-assisted liposuction are those who are close to their ideal weight with isolated areas of fat that they can't lose through diet or exercise. They are the same as for other types of liposuction.   I will typically use Body-Jet for patients who are interested in fat transfer to another area of the body. I have been performing liposuction and body-contouring for many years, and feel that Body-Jet typically results in less bruising and quicker recovery than with traditional liposuction.    Please seek out a board-certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in body-contouring for optimal results.  Good luck.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

+1

You question really should be who is a candidate for liposuction.  If you are a candidate for liposuction, then your doctor will probably have a preference on which technique he would like to use.

In our practice we use the Body Jet as well as SmartLipo and other techniques.  We use the Body Jet on all our patients who want fat transfer.  The Body Jet with the Lipo Collector allows for fast, safe, and effective fat transfers.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

BodyJet- Does it Make Any Difference to My Liposuction?

+1

I have been using BodyJet Liposuction techniques since Feb 2010. The benefits are that the wetting solution is effectively distributed into the tissues. The total amount of fat to be removed does not depend on the device used, so it is irrelevant. If you are getting a small area treated (tummy, for example) under local anesthesia only, then the benefit from this device is that it numbs the tissues more effectively than the traditional technique. Because the fluid is dispersed more effectively, there is also less bruising evident, but in all other respects, the results are equal to expertly done traditional liposuction. The real benefit of this device is that it allows the surgeon to harvest excellent fat grafting material for ancillary procedures to be done at the same time.

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD

Best results from which type of liposuction.

+1

Every year there is a "new and better" type of liposuction. This is what each company wishes the patients to think. The best results come from experienced liposuction doctors, no matter what machine is used. It is the surgeon doing the surgery thaat is important--not the machine!

I think Body Jet liposuction is a gimmick.

+1

Hi.

I don't know any reputable board certified plastic surgeon in New York City who uses this kind of liposuction. So you can draw your own conclusions. Avoid operations with trade marks or catchy names.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuction candidates

+1

The ideal candidate for liposuction is a person at or near their ideal body weight and have some fat pockets accumulated in areas they do not like.

The method of liposuction is the same. The most important part in getting a good result is chosing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with experience he/she can get the best results with any methods. The new companies as laser lipo, hydro, or water assisted are nothing but marketing tools.