What is a Good Breast Size for Me? I Am 5'8''/5'9'' and Weigh 132 Pounds Medium Frame.

I am getting surgery because I have tuberous breasts. They are currently between an A and a B, but I feel that with my size and medium frame they will be bigger after the surgery. (I read that Augmentation is one of the methods involved in correcting tuberous breasts.) So....how do I decide which size to get? Thank you!

Tuberous breast

+1
 it is not possible to determine the size that will be best for you based on your height and weight. Implant selection is best performed in office what the surgeon and patient communicating goals, needs and limitations. Positions with 3-D modeling systems such as the Vectra  can demonstrate with your implants will look like with a simulation. When it comes to tumors breasts sometimes tissue expansion may be needed in a two-stage procedure. With the first stage being placed out of the tissue expanders and expansion of the tissue to your desired size. The second stage is exchange of the Sizer for a permanent implant.

Breast implant size for tuberous breast

+1

Thank you for your question. Breast augmentation for a tuberous breast can be complex. The tuberous breast must be expanded with a breast implant or soft tissue expander.

When breast implants alone are used it is not uncommon after a year for larger breast implants to be placed.

How large you can go needs to be determine by a formal consultation with your plastic surgeon, biometric measurements of your chest and breast. You can get an indication of the size you may want at home using the Rice test described in the link below.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

What Is A Good Breast Size For Me?

+1

It is difficult to answer your question prior to a consultation and physical examination.  With all of my Breast Augmentation patients, we decide upon the breast size together.  I do measurements of your breasts and chest and then my staff does sizing with special inserts to help you decide what is best for you.  This is ideal because you determine what you like best.  

William P. Adams, MD

Tuberous Breast Deformity

+1

Tubular breast deformity is a spectrum in which there is deficiency in the vertical and/or horizontal dimensions of the breast, usually characterized by underdevelopment of the breast and often herniation of breast tissue into the areola with accompanying dilation of the areola. Due to varying nature of the spectrum, there is no one size fits all answer.

The best method by which to chose the appropriate implant for your case would be through an in-person exam. In this way your anatomy and deformity could be evaluated to devise a solution comprising of the implant and the procedure or combinations thereof needed.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Tuberous/Constricted Breasts and Size Concerns?

+1

Without direct physical examination or viewing pictures, it is not possible to give you precise advice. Tuberous ( constricted) breasts  present in a variety of “shapes and sizes”.  Surgical treatment may differ depending on your specific physical examination and goals.

I would suggest that you do your due diligence and select your plastic surgeon carefully. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work helping patients in your situation. Then, communicate your goals clearly ( as to what types of breaths you find attractive).   In my practice, I find the use of goal pictures helpful during this communication process.

Also during this communication process, your plastic surgeon will be able to guide you as to what it may take to achieve your goals. A discussion about realistic expectations may also be in order.

You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more about tuberous/constricted breasts.

Breast Augmentation Selecting the Ideal Size

+1

The actual size of a breast implant, measured in cc's, is really not very descriptive of what a breast augmentation will look like, or what the cup size will be. It is all relative to the size of the breast and the size of the patient preoperatively. A tall, broad-shouldered patient with small A-cup breasts may require 450cc implants to achieve a C-cup breast volume postoperatively, while a shorter patient with medium B-cup breasts may only need a 250cc implant to achieve a C-cup breast volume.

If a natural appearance is the goal, then the way to get the size right is to 'try out' different implant volumes and profiles in the operating room. Once the implant pockets have been created, sterile sizers can be placed in the implant pockets, and the upper half of the O.R. table raised so that the resulting breast appearance can be assessed with the patient in an upright 'sitting' position (chest fully upright) while under anesthesia. These sizers are available not only for each implant size but also for each implant profile: low, moderate and high (in this practice we use high-profile implants only in rare instances). Inflatable sizers are used for saline implant augmentations, and pre-filled gel sizers are used for gel implant augmentations.

For any patient there is obviously a range of implant volumes that would be considered natural-appearing, and a volume at which the upper pole of the breast begins to look very unnatural. While one patient may seek an augmentation that is 'perfectly natural', another may be interested in a result that is more on 'the full side of natural', and many patients do ask that the largest implant volume be selected that does not produce an unnatural fullness in the upper pole. By using breast implant sizers intra-operatively to determine exactly what breast implant profile and volume produces the best breast appearance in the O.R., patients can be provided with the closest possible approximation of their preoperative goals, and can be assured of a natural-appearing result.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Determining implant size

+1

Hello. The most important factors for determining the size of implants that could be used on a patient include width of the base of the breast, the size of your thorax and the amount of breast tissue and skin you have. Without this information or a personal consultation it is impossible for me to decide what implant you can have. Tuberous breasts may need additional surgery to correct but again, it is impossible to determine from the information given. I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for more information.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Deciding Size in Tuberous Breasts

+1

In general, the maximum size of the implant placed can be determined by chest wall measurements.  Then you can try on sizers in a bra to give you an idea of the volume you would like.   The profile can then be determined based upon the volume you would like.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tuberous breasts and implants size

+1

The only way to properly determine the right implant for you would be to perform an exam.  Often with tuberous breasts the base is too narrow and needs to be "opened" up. The  areola often ahs to be reduced as well.