Is It Possible to Get a Good Amount of Cleavage?

I am 20 years old, no kids, 5'9, 130 pounds, 34A. I went to a plastic surgeon and he said I will need 350cc in my right and 400cc in my left to even them out and bring me to a C cup. He said I can get cleavage with a push up bra. But I was wondering how accurate do you think he is? I really want cleavage more than anything but I'm not sure if it's possible with my body style. What is your expert opinion?

Cleavage after augmentation

+3

The shape of your breasts would not allow for much cleavage without a bra.  Your breasts are a little wide and project laterally.  This has everything to do with your breast development and the shape of your ribcage.

Breast augmentation will give you a larger, fuller version of your current breasts.  Trying to achieve a lot of cleavage without a bra would be a surgical mistake.  Implants placed too close to the midline would only cause your nipples to project further laterally, pointing to the sides of your breast.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and cleavage

+3

Based on your photos it  will be very difficult to obtain cleavage with breast  implants.  Your breasts are located far apart on your chest wall which makes cleavage less likely to occur; however, the distance between your breasts will be closer. This will make cleavage possible with a good bra. If your surgeon attempts to place the implants too close to each other, it can result in a very unnatural appearance.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Is It Possible to Get a Good Amount of Cleavage from breast implants?

+3

Dear Sacramento2047,

I agree with the prior responses you have received.

This is a very common request from patients considering a breast augmentation.

As you have already read, the amount of cleavage you will obtain after the placement of the breast implants is somewhat unpredictable.  It really depends on one's anatomy.  This is especially the case in subpectoral augmentations.  In these cases we depend on how the muscle is positioned, or attatched,  to the sternal bone.

I tell all my patients that if the muscles are positioned far apart from each other, then they will have a wider cleavage.  Unfortunately, we cannot, as surgeons, be too aggressive in releasing these attatchments onto the sternal bone with out risking a very difficult problem to correct- synmastia.

I hope this helps,

Sergio Pasquale Maggi, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Sergio P. Maggi, MD

Cleavage is mostly anatomy-dependent, but larger implants can help!

+3

With your present breast position and size (no implants), as well as the outward slope of your ribcage, if you want cleavage you likely require a bra that pushes your breasts inward, and you probably require bra inserts ("chicken cutlets") to give you more volume to push towards the center.

With breast implants, you must have them positioned properly behind the nipple areola complex--you can't just put them close to the center to create cleavage when the nipple/areola is positioned laterally. You would end up with a "wall-eyed" appearance that is totally abnormal and bizarre! Your implants, regardless of size, must be positioned behind the nipple/areola complex, so smaller implants (with smaller diameters) will by definition leave a wide(r) space between your breasts in the middle.

Your breasts are asymmetric in volume, and I agree you need (at least) a 50cc difference; I would suggest 75-100cc based on your photos, but the final size determination is made in the OR. However, a 350cc implant (moderate profile, for the widest base) has a base diameter of 14.2cm, and the 400cc mod profile implant has a diameter of 14.5cm. Measure your nipple-nipple distance and subtract 3-4cm for the tissue adherence over you breast bone. (Any narrower and your surgeon risks symmastia--the "una-boob"). I suspect your distance may measure more than 24cm, but let's use 24cm for the purposes of this calculation. Half of this is 12cm, and 1.5-2cm for the tissue attachment in the breastbone area leaves about 10cm from nipple to central edge of implant (half the diameter). Even allowing slightly more room for implant movement and safe tissue attachment centrally, means your 7.1cm and 7.25cm (half the 350cc and half the 400c diameter) leaves you with 2-3cm gap per side, or another two inches of non-cleavage flatness centrally! If you are willing to go with larger implants, a bigger base diameter would help your quest for cleavage, and require less of your push-up brassiere or swim top! I would consider 500cc (base 15.2cm) and 550cc (base 15.9cm) or even 600cc (base 16.5cm) to give you the look you are requesting, but only if you are OK with the addition of about two cup sizes rather than the present plan of about 1 1/2 cup.

The rest will be the work of your pretty new brassieres!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Cleavage Defined By Your Anatomy

+3

Every woman who undergoes breast augmentation wants a good cleavage result afterwards, but everyone is different.  It really depends on the anatomy.  If someone has a large space between there breasts naturally, then it is very hard to get the breasts musch closer together, even with wider implants.  If you violate the natural tissues too much between the breasts, the tissues can weaken over time and lead to problems.  In your case, based on your photographs, you will probbaly still have a larger space between your breasts than you optimally would like.  However, once everything is healed and soft/settled, a push up bra will bring them right to each other if desired.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Cleavage

+3

Cleavage is a matter of the anatomy and choice of implants. However, implants can only cheat so much. The anatomy blocks you out in most cases if you are very wide.

Cleavage after Breast Augmentation

+2

Your anatomy (relatively wide space between the breasts)  may limit how close  the medial breast folds ( cleavage) will be after breast supplementation surgery. However, using gentle implant pocket dissection technique  and the appropriate size/model of breast implant, significant improvement of the cleavage area is definitely achievable.

It is important to have your surgery performed by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon who can show you examples of similar patients and their results.

Natural appearing breast augmentation with cleavage

+2

Unfortunately the most commonly used type of implants (high profile) and the most common type of placement ( submuscular/dual plane) cannot deliver the natural 'tear drop' effect or cleavage that you desire.  Leaving the origination of the pectoralis major medially intact in submuscular placement ensures that the implant cannot be medial enough to look natural, and a flat plateau is left centrally.  There are also big problems associated with anatomic implants placed in conventional planes( they work well in subfascial carefully designed pockets).  This is why I use a very unique methof of breast augmentation that I call 'cold-subfascial augmantation.'  the placement of the implants is not 'above the muscle' or subglandular, nor is it submuscular or dual plane.  A very strong layer of connective tissue is meticulously and atraumatically dissected from the pectoralis major muscle and this tissue is used to shape and support a lower profile implant into a gentle tear drop shape.  It is the surgical dissection and not the implant itself that gives shape to the breasts.  The results sit like natural breasts and do not move like submuscular implants do with arm motion.  The fascia also supports the implant giving it relative protection from gravity and aging.  

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Breast Implants

+2

Implants can only do so much. I would discuss your concerns and expectations with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  You need enter into surgery  knowing that you will probably still be purchasing push-up bras to obtain cleavage, Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

You have a wide sternum

+2
The space between your breasts is too wide and implants no matter how big will fix it. I offer my patients fat grafting at the time of the augmentation to enhance the cleavage. This is done only over the cleavage area and not to make the breast bigger.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon