Different Size Implants to Correct a Minor Size Difference...opinions?

I'm an athletic frame, tall 5'8 & wide shoulders. My BW is 13.5-13.9. I've even breasts, but one is slightly smaller. Doc thinks about 40cc different. In Australia, the Mentor implants only go up in 50cc increments. Because I'm tall & wide I felt that the 500cc implant was good & not too big. I do have the option of putting in a slightly larger implant to even me out, but I've seen a few instances on this site where the correction looks bad. Will 450/500mod+,or 500/550mod+ look wrong?

It's hard to give specific advice on this

+1

While it is hard to give you specific advice on this issue based upon the picture that you have posted, I would like to offer a couple of thoughts that I have found useful in discussing this with my patients and thinking about this myself as a surgeon.  First, 30 cc is a shot glass.  That's a pretty small volume, and sometimes I think we agonize over this small volume on both sides - we either fear that it will make things WAY too big by adding 25 or 30 cc more, or we fear that taking it away will make things WAY too small.  In reality, few people can really detect that subtle of a difference in my experience.  I think 50 cc difference is a bit more noticeable to the lay person on the street, and this leads to my next point.  Depending upon the size range and style of your chosen implants, you may not have the choice of a 25 cc increment as once the volume hits a certain point, the sizes jump by 50 cc.  Also, at the larger sizes the implant becomes the primary determinant of size/dimension of the breast, and often the OPTIMAL symmetry is obtained by using similarly sized implants.  Notice I didn't say PERFECT symmetry, but OPTIMAL implies that it's the best we can achieve within the limits of human error and state of the art with implant technology.  I hope that helps.  G'day!

Different size implants?

+1

All of us have minor asymmetries when we look at our breasts.  Sometimes, we may try to improve on these asymmetries with surgery; but it is important to understand, that nothing is ever going to be perfectly symmetrical.  Keeping that in mind, a 40 gm or cc difference is probably not huge; and a 10cc difference is nothing.  Also, your surgeon is only guessing as to the degree of asymmetry -- there is no real scientific method to determine this, and another surgeon may give you a different opinion.  Whether you choose to go with the same size implants or with asymmetrical implants, the choice is between you and your surgeon.  I know that I usually use the same size implants for small asymmetries.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Correcting smaller breast with a bigger implant

+1

Dear Shelly,

I might recommend placing the same sized implant on both sides.  At a higher total breast volume after surgery (your current breast volume plus 450-550cc implants) the current 40g difference will be a much smaller percentage of the breast volume and is likely to become less noticeable.  If you start to place different sized implants to equalize the volume, the difference in the implant base widths might be an even more noticeable asymmetry than the 40g difference.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Different Size Implants #breastimplants

+1

If you truly have a 40 cc difference then you are splitting hairs. That small of a difference will be hardly noticeable between implants. If you were to go with lets say 400 cc in on breast and 450 in the other that 10 cc difference according to your surgeons assessment is not a big deal at all. I use sizers in the operating room prior to choosing final implants. So if you need two different sizes that is known before you open implants. Ask you surgeon if they use sizers in the operating room to get as even as possible. Realize breasts usually are not twins, they will be sisters. No two are ever really the same.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Different Size BreAST Implants to Correct a Minor Size Difference

+1

If you are close to 40 cc difference, I would not  hesitate to put in 50 cc different sized implants. The result may not be perfect, but you should be more symmetric than you presently are.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Best Breast Implant Size/ Profile for Me?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your picture, I think that it is likely that you are starting at a great “starting point” when it comes to  achieving a nice outcome after breast augmentation surgery.  Although potentially useful to some degree, online “consultations” cannot be as precise as necessary.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals, careful measurements (dimensional planning),  careful selection of appropriate breast implants and skillful execution of the procedure will be important steps in achieving your goals.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.

Breast Implant Sizing

+1

I agree with Dr. Gottlieb that size recommendations require a physical examination. However, I will say that I think you were a little generous in the measurement of your breast base width (bbw), and I probably would have measured it slightly smaller, but I may be wrong.  Regardless, bbw is fast becoming a well known concept among women, but it is misinterpreted as the only measurement necessary for implant sizing (possibly because many surgeons think the same thing), however this is incorrect.  There are a number of other measurements that are just as important.

Additionally, height, weight, and hip measurements are frequently given, and these are all unnecessary for true dimensional planning.  I think the implants you are contemplating are both rather large, and regardless of dimensional planning you will look disproportionate, and be quiet a spectacle in your club's swimming pool! 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

+1

A photo that shows the breasts might help, but really this requires a 3-dimensional evaluation that can only be done at a consultation. All the best.