What's Going On? Is it Normal to Get Re-stitched Twice After?

I had a breast augmentation almost 5 weeks ago now. I decided to go with 700cc gel implants over the muscle. I did local anesthesia in the office. Everything was fine at first. One week after my BA I went in for a check up and he said he had to open up my left breast and re-stitch it, my left breast healed very well after that. Now, 3 days ago (almost 5 weeks PO) he said he had to open up my right breast and re-stitch that one also. He has me on antibiotics for 5 weeks. Did I get butchered?

Breast implant revision

+1

There are quite a few things with your story that make me question the decision making of your surgeon. Unless you are a really heavy or broad chested woman, 700 cc implants in in the subglandular space sounds unusual. Local anesthesia alone is not completely unheard of, but is not the standard anesthesia technique for breast augmentation. Repeat surgeries at the 1 week and 5 week post operative time frame is also unusual. I might advise you to get a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant revisions

+1

If you have any concerns about your augmentation, you may want to see another plastic surgeon.  Local anesthesia for a breast augmentation is not commonly performed.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation revision

+1

Something does not sound right and I do not think the majority of plastic surgeons would do this. Are you sure your doctor is a plastic surgeon? Given what you have said there is a high chance the implants will need to be taken out. If your surgeon is not a plastic surgeon you need to find one for a second opinion and definitive care of the problem.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Re-stitching of breast

+1

The story is not that clear. Why did you have to get re-stitched?  Was there an extrusion?  an infection? a hematoma?....

Resuturing wounds after breast augmentation

+1

Hard for us to know just what is going on with your augmentation, however experience tells us that when wounds open after breast augmentation the cause is often infection. Breast infections after augmentatin are difficult to resolve without removing the implant, so keep in close touch with your surgeon.

Breast augment complications

+1
I don't think we are hearing the full story. If you have an infection, explaining the course of antibiotics, then the issue is whether the implant needs to be removed. 700 cc is a very large implant and there is a question of whether your wound has opened or dehisced. Your surgeon may be trying to salvage the procedure. I recommend that you have a serious discussion with your surgeon, and hope that you are being treated by a physician who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Complications after Breast Augmentation?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced after breast augmentation surgery. Generally speaking, your situation does seem a little unusual given the way the procedure was performed ( breast augmentation under local anesthesia) and the lenghth/duration of incision line healing problems.  Hopefully you do not have an infection involving the breast implant and/or deeper tissues.

Please make sure you have chosen a board certified plastic surgeon; if not it may be time for a 2nd opinion at some point.

Re-stitched twice

+1

I don't understand why your surgeon is re-stitching you if everything is healing fine. Personally, I have issues with the 700cc and having surgery done under local but maybe I'm old fashioned. If you have an infection you need someone who knows what they are doing.

Ronald Schuster, MD

+1

Dear MK:

It would be helpful to know why he her surgeon felt he had to re suture the incisions. Without knowing that one can only speculate.

If he had to reclose the wound because it had opened or because he suspected and implant infection, you may be an for an extended process since it is often  difficult to treat implant infections without removing the implant itself. That would be my suspicion given the fact that you have been started on a long course of antibiotics.

If you question the care your getting, it may be time to get a second opinion. Be certain this opinion comes from a board certified plastic surgeon.

Good luck and best wishes to you, and thanks for the interesting question you pose.