I Am Going to Have Rhinoplasty, Can I Use a Plastic Ring on my Piercings if I Have to Remove Them?

I have body piercings below my neck, do I really have to remove them? If so, can I have a non-metal retainer during surgery? Thank you.

Body Piercings and Surgery

+1

Removing the piercings is required to reduce the risk of electrical burn and to not be an impediment during surgery. Plastic can be used in its place if they do not interfere with surgery.

Remove body piercings

+1

Yes you do. The reason all patients having any type of surgery need to remove metal body piercings is because of the risk of electrical burn if a electrical cautery is used (which it commonly is in many surgeries). Plastic may be left as it is non conducting to electricity.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Ring

+1

I would advise you not to have any jewelry in place during surgery or for two weeks afterwards. The last thing you need is any kind of infection. It's not worth the risks. Good luck to you.

David Alessi, MD

Rhinoplasty with Nasal Piercings

+1

Previously when i did rhinoplasty surgery on patients with nasal jewelry we removed those that would interfere with the surgery and replaced them after the operation. If they were not in the way, plastic rings are used instead of the metal during the surgery.

Rings and Things

+1

We generally remove any objects that can be lost, inhaled, get infected or of value.  The inconvenience of re-piercing is probably work the risk of closure.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

In our office we would not require removal of the piercings, although I believe there are other physicians that might feel differently. If your doctor does want them removed, I would think the plastic retainers would be allowed. However, it is important you follow the instructions from the doctor qho is actually doing your surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Nose Piercings To Be Taken For Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Lucy,

Given the fact that metal piercings may induce electrical burns, non-metal retainers are not to be used instead as they may interfere with the recovery process.

In case of certain nose trauma, having piercings on will aggravate the damage if it is to occur post-surgery; you want to be as safe as possible especially during the first several weeks after your surgery.

I recommend that you consult with your surgeon who will be able to tell you based on your planned surgery when can you resume wearing your nose piercings.

Thank you for your question and the best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS