I Am Going in for Surgery in 2 Weeks & Still Questioning Size. What Would You Recommend? 

I am a 24 year old young lady with the height of 5'9" 120 pounds with a breast size of 32 small B. I want to have results of a very full large D that fits in a small DD  in certain bra's after surgery. What amount of CC's would you recommend? May I add; I have had a child and my breast had expanded to a medium D then reduced back to normal size 3 years ago. I do have stretch marks on my breast & a slight droop. The implants I am choosing are Saline.

How Do You Decide Breast Implant Size?

+2

Dear Lilly,

There is not a standard number of cc's that correlates with a cup size. There are many variables to take into account, including height, weight, current amount of breast tissue and chest width to name a few. Plastic surgery and breast enlargement is a very visual and artistic discipline. I prefer that patients describe to me what they are looking for and we have a sizing process with implants that works very well. Photos are helpful and encouraged. Communication with your surgeon is the key to success.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augementation - I Am Going in for Surgery in 2 Weeks & Still Questioning Size. What Would You Recommend?

+1

There are no absolute answers to this, though I've addressed many of the most common questions in a video that's included below.  In general, it's ABOUT 150-200 cc per bra cup size, but it's more if you're relatively larger and at higher cup sizes (C to a D) and less if you're smaller and at smaller cup size changes (AA to an A).  So if you're a small B and you want to be a full D into a DD then you would probably need about 450 cc or so.  But whether or not that will give you the look that will look best on you, and that's something you have to discuss with your PS.  The volume of the implant is only one of many issues that must be considered, particularly since you haven't had implants before (in which some of your tissues might already been stretched out to a greater degree, though I recognize that's what happened to a degree with the pregnancy).  And the larger the implant the more it risks looking "implanty" and may be associated with additional problems.  That being said, it's a question of what you want, and what your surgeon feels can be done to accommodate you.  I would suggest keeping an open mind on this and having another talk with your PS to make sure you're on the same page.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

What size implant?

+1

The numbers you mention are important, but not the most important.  You need to be examined, because all chest wall tissues contribute to your final result, and therefore, you should not listen to anbody but your ps.  Why don't you ask him if you can try some samples on and see how they look. 

I recommend you have another visit before surgery so that all questions are resolved, before the big day.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Breast implant size selection

+1

Deciding on implant size for breast augmentation is not a simple matter.  The dimensions of the implant must correlate with your anatomy using a variety of parameters such as breast width, tissue compliance and tissue thickness.  It is important that the patient communicate her size preferences preoperatively to allow an adequate discussion with the surgeon regarding what is an appropriate size.  The breast implant choice saline or silicone is an additional consideration that may be significantly affected by your anatomy including tissue thickness.  While sizing at home with rice will estimate the volume it takes to get your desired fullness, the surgeon needs to be a part of the process.  Both Mentor and Allergan implants come in a variety of profiles and these discussions should be part of the preoperative consultation. 

Glen Brooks, MD
Springfield Plastic Surgeon

What size implants

+1

In my opinion, you should be more concerned about likely wrinkling and rippling that will result by increasing to D or DD with saline implants.  Because you are thin, the implant edges will not be well camouflaged by fat.  Because you are small B, the implants will not be well camouflaged by breast tissue.  To add the projection you desire, your surgeon may want to overfill the implants slightly, which will create breasts with a slightly more firm texture, perhaps un-naturally firm.  Regarding size, I agree with Dr. Rand's comments.

Steve Laverson, MD

Choosing breast implants

+1

By now, the final size should be determined with you and your surgeon especially if you have had your preop visit already.  I'd go back asap and ask to try on sizers to mimic the result so you won't be surprised at the outcome.  No one out here on line can tell you what to use.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

If your plastic surgeon really understands the look you want, it is his job to pick implants.

+1

Hi.

This article explains how we decide on size.  I hope you find it helpful.

1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating room inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

The right implant size for you

+1

The implant size to give your the very full D-cup look will be determined by your surgeon using his skill and judgment to give you the look you are after. The best way to get things right is to let your surgeon know clearly, through photos, etc. of what you have as your augmentation goal.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Breast implant size

+1

Each surgeon has there own way of sizing and communicating. This is a visual field and images are very important. I ask woman to bring in photos of breasts they like. Profile views are very important as they demonstrate how much upper pole fullness you desire. The dimensions of your breast will dictate the appropriate series of implants for you. Moderate, moderate plus and high profiles will have the same diameter but the projection will be different. The projection of the implant dictates the degreee of upper pole fullness and also the volume.

The fact you are still concerned two weeks before your surgery leads me to believe you have not effectively communicated your goals to your surgeon.

From your description it sounds as if a breast lift may also be necessary. I woule encourge you to speak with your board certified plastic surgeon one more time prior to your surgery to clearly define your goals.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Breast size after augmentation

+1
There is no precise formula for augmentation or are all D or DD bras created equal. You and your plastic surgeon should have as detailed a conversation about expectations, options and the realities of surgery as possible prior to the procedure. Also, it is important for you to recognize that plastic surgery is as much art as science and that the shape and size of the postoperative breast will be subject to change during the healing period. Best of luck!

Robert L. Kraft, MD