I'm Going in for a Rhinoplasty Consult. Is It Encouraged to Bring in Altered Photos of my Nose? (photo)

I found a plastic surgeons website where you can change the shape of your nose. Surprisingly, it looks amazing, to me, and want an opinion on whether of not you think this result is realistic for me. Also, if I should bring in this before and after photo to my consult? I realize they will also show me altered photos, but I just want to emphasize how much of a change I want, before they do.

Should I bring photos of celebrities to the consultation?

+1
Bringing photographs of noses that you like can be useful in a rhinoplasty discussion as it conveys the aesthetics of the nose that you like. Rhinoplasty is a procedure that is has both important technical and aesthetic elements, and key to success is an understanding of the aesthetic that you like.
At the same time, there are no two people who have identical facial features, body shape and ethnic considerations, and with rhinoplasty key is that the result suits your own personal facial characteristics for it to look balanced and natural. A Caucasian female’s nose will not look good on a person with Asian facial characteristics and vice versa. Dr. De Silva uses imaging to show you his aesthetic which is a natural looking result that keeps an individual’s character and ethnicity.

London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bringing in altered photos to rhinoplasty consult

+1

It is very acceptable for additional communication to bring in a patient’s computer imaging results from a doctor’s website.  We have a face touchup application on our web site where patients can upload their own picture and do their own computer imaging.  We encourage patients to bring their own computer images.  We also have computer imaging in our office done with a photo taken by a high-resolution camera.  The computer imaging is not a guarantee of results.  It is another tool used to communicate desired results between the surgeon and the patient.

Bringing photos to a rhinoplasty ("nosejob") consult

+1

Yes, communication with your surgeon is critical.  This is exactly why I prefer to use pre-operative morphing software- to get a better understanding of what the patient wants, not what I want.  Surgeons sometimes get nervous if patients bring in photos of celebrities and convey the impression that they want to end up looking exactly like that celebrity, but if the photos are just used for illustrative purposes, that's fine.  My mentors always emphasized that a surgery should be "performed" at least 4 times in a surgeon's mind before the actual surgery (Once each during and after the initial consult, then once again each during and after the final pre-operative visit), so clearly understanding what the patient wants is necessary.  Beware if a surgeon discourages you from voicing your concerns or expectations- it's your face, not theirs.

Christopher R. Hove, MD
Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

Morphed Photos To Rhinoplasty Consultation

+1

Dear Turk123,

First, what you are shooting for is realistic and could be attained with skilled surgeons through a conservative approach.

Second, it is of a great help to the surgeon when you bring such photos of before and anticipated-after results to your consultation; "a picture is worth a thousand words". Your main goal is to have yourself and your surgeon on the same page.

I recommend that you consult with board certified surgeons of extensive experience who will help you make a well informed decision.

Thank you for sharing your photos and for your inquiry.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Bringing in morphed photos of nose to rhinoplasty consultation

+1

I find it very useful if patients bring in photos that they think will help relay to me what type of result they want. The morphing that you did is very helpful to see as it tells us how much of your hump you want to remove and how much tip deprojection you'd like to see.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Altered photos.

+1

Yes you should. The more communication you have with your surgeon, the better. Rhinoplasty is a challenging operation because millimeters count, and the more detailed planning the better. You and your surgeon should be on the same page with the surgical goal and the picture should enhance common goals. You are telling in this photo that you want a straight dorsum and not much tip elevation, and it helps to know that.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Bringing photographs to Rhinoplasty consultation with plastic surgeon

+1

Yes, most plastic surgeons encourage patients to bring photographs to the rhinoplasty consultation. Either photographs of celebrities, friends, family and/or morphed photographs of yourself. Anything that will help your surgeon better understand your specific goals and desires is beneficial. Keep in mind that computer simulation is a guide and that actual will results will vary.

Reducing a nasal bump is one of the most common rhinoplasty requests. The photo results appear realistic. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can your rhinoplasty surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

I'm Going in for a Rhinoplasty Consult. Is It Encouraged to Bring in Altered Photos of my Nose?

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for well over 25 years and IMHO anything, including these pictures, that can clearly communicate what you are looking for in a Rhinoplasty is encouraged.  These will setup an added level of communication between you and the Rhinoplasty Surgeon.

You appear to have realistic expectations regarding Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

You appear to have relatively thin skin with a profile hump, an overprojected tip and a hanging columella. I like your morphed photo, and in my opinion, it's a realistic expectation after well-performed rhinoplasty surgery. You may want to consider asking your surgeon to repair your hanging columella which could decrease your nostril show on profile.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Photos Can Be Very Helpful in a Rhinoplasty Consultation

+1

Your consultation is a chance for you to communicate to your surgeon what it is that you would like to see happen at the time of your surgery. The better idea your surgeon has about what you want your nose to look like, the more likely it is that you will end up with a result you are happy about. The photos are a way for you to communicate your desires to him or her. In a similar fashion, the more your surgeon knows about what it is that you want, the better he or she can determine the likelihood that they will be able to deliver the results you desire. Many surgeons already do this by using computer imaging as a part of their normal rhinoplasty consult in order to improve communication with their patients. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon