Going in for Pre Op on Monday, Wondering if I Should Choose Mod + or High Profile Silicone Implants?

I am 5'7" 155lbs currently a deflated 36B. My ps suggested a 650cc subglandular implant to give me the fullness I desire. He said my chest is not too wide, however I did not ask my bwd. He said I could do either the mod plus or high profile. I have my pre op in a couple of days. Can you please tell me the look I will get with both types of implants. I am also getting a mini lift only moving the nipple. I desire fullness, nice cleavage and I do not want to appear too wide.

Moderate or high breast implants - which is better?

+2

A lot of surgeons use specific measurements of your breast width to decide whether to us a "moderate profile" (wider diameter, less projection) or "high profile" implants.  Beware, however, that the flatter (moderate) implants ripple more at the sides because of their flatness, particularly when using saline rather than silicone  The higher profile breast implants are "rounder" at the sides, and ripples less.  To me, rippling is a much more obvious problem than  a rounder breast shape, and I avoid the moderate implants because of this. 

Contoured, "gummi-bear" implants are not prone to rippling, and measurements of width become more useful.  There limitation is that they cannot be placed from the axilla, which is the preferred approach with absolutely no scars on the breast.

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

650 cc Implant and Which Profile

+2

650 cc implants are very large, and few women can fit a moderate plus profile implant of this size without it being too wide.  However, your chest wall width would give a more precise answer, and your plastic surgeon can better help you decide.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA 

Avoid implant descent by minimizing implant volume

+1

More important than the type of implants is a simultaneous mastopexy.  You describe a mini lift to move the areola but you may benefit from a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to lift your breast tissue higher, reshape the breast to increase upper pole fullness and move them more medial to increase cleavage.  This will achieve the upper pole fullness you desire without resorting to a large implant.  650 cc implants would not be stable subglandular and you will need additional surgery.  The best implants are silicone gel placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural.  If you are size 36 each 200 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  I would recommend the smallest implant possible to delay implant descent and additional surgery.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

What style implant is best?

+1

Your doctor should be counseling you on the benefits of each style.  I pick implant styles for the patient after they pick the volume.  It has to fit on your chest.  650 cc implants are on the generous side so if you're thin, gel implants would be better to diminish (not eliminate) rippling.  As for over or under the muscle, it should be your decision after being presented with the pros and cons of each.  There are definitely differences that usually show up 5-10 years down the road.  

Curtis Wong, MD

Implants

+1

The high profile implants have more projection and a more rounded look. The moderate plus profile implants look a little more natural

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Implant choice

+1

It you do not want to be wide, you might be better off with an HP implant. Without an exam, it is difficult to say for sure.

High profile or mod plus

+1

Hello. The most important factors when determining implants would be the width of each breast, the elasticity of your skin and the width of your thorax. With high profile your breasts will be perkier with more projection.  I have heard them described as “fakey,” but not necessarily in a bad way. Mod plus would give a more natural appearance with less projection and slightly wider. The best type of implant in this regard depends on the look you are going for.
Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Best Breast Implant Size/ Profile for Me?

+1

When it comes to selection of the “best” breast implant size/profile to meet patient's goals, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “C cup” or "too wide" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.
 Again, please make sure that you have the appropriate procedure performed (if any); otherwise, I would not be surprised if you will be undergoing additional breast surgery in the relatively near future.

High Profile or Moderate Plus Breast Implant

+1

The shape of an implant is determined by how it is manufactured with the base width. Therefore a high profile implant of the same size as moderate plus will be narrower at the base and will then give more projection. To be honest, often in surgery the difference you see between the two type is not great. A High Profile can be helpful with someone who is looking for a certain size and has a narrow breast base width. My recommendation is to communicate with your surgeon what size you want to be (with photos off the web, i.e. Implantinfo.com) and let he or she decide which type implant looks more aesthetically please in surgery.

Good luck!

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Mod + or High Profile

+1

Without that measurement or photos, I don't feel I have enough info to make a recommendation. All I can suggest is to express your goals carefully, and be certain that your surgeon understands. Is there a specific reason that these are being placed above the muscle?

Thanks, all the best.