Going in for Capsulorrhaphy in Aug to Fix Bottomed out Implant? (photo)

I am going to have a capsulorrhaphy in Aug. I had 400 cc silicone implants done and right away noticed that my breast were uneven and my surgeon told me I had bottomed out and needed this done. I have included a picture and just want your opinion on whether I could go with a larger implant or because of my height 5 ft 6 in, weight 115 pounds and age 47 if a 400 cc is the largest I can safely go. I feel like my breast still look small.

Active weight transfer to reverse bottomed out breasts

+2

Your photograph shows asymmetry of size and areola position, your breasts are too low and have bottomed out.  The implants you have now are 400 cc, which are too heavy and your body cannot withstand that weight (about 1 pound) and will descend further.  I recommend Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  This will align your areola, breast tissue and implant all over the bony prominence of the chest to increase cleavage, upper pole fullness and projection with a smaller implant.  This technique produces long term stability by minimizing implant weight and active transfer the breast weight to the underlying muscle.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Going in for Capsulorrhaphy in Aug to Fix Bottomed out Implant?

+1

You need more than a repair of the left bottoming. Your result is very asymmetric. Seek IN PERSON opinions. 

Going in for Capsulorrhaphy in Aug to Fix Bottomed out Implant

+1

Although from just looking at the photos it might seem that you could tolerate larger implants, from reading the history in your posting I would advise against that. Although there may be a number of factors that can contribute to bottoming out, the size of the implant is a major one. Putting more stress on the repair you will be having increases the likelihood of failure and subsequent recurrence. 

Capsulorrhaphy and Larger Implants?

+1

A capsulorrhaphy to repair the fold to prevent bottoming out and placing a larger implant at the same time can be done, but the larger implant will place more stress on the repair.  Most plastic surgeons would not recommend implant upsizing and pocket reduction at the same time.

Silicone implant bottomed out

+1

You would need a physical exam to determine if you could upsize your implants.  However, I would recommend not doing that, because it increases the risk of capsulorrhaphy failure, and recurrent implant malposition.

Dennis Dass, MD

Bottoming out and implants

+1

If you have had problems with bottoming out, I often place smaller implants back in because the pocket is often made smaller.  Going bigger is probably not a great idea.

Larger Implant Will Increase Risk Of Repeat Bottom-out

+1

I think you will increase the risk of having a recurrent bommoming out problem if you increase the volume of your implants.  The use of Strattice, etc. would be associated with a higher success rate, but will also add significant cost.

John Whitt, MD

Capsulorraphy ain implant size increase

+1

Defining implant size to be used to reach your goals is very important.  Larger implants may be used at the same time as a capsulorraphy in certain cases as long as the structure is appropriately reinforced to sustain an increased weight and pressure.

A thorough discussion with your PS is essential for the best final outcome!

Best wishes for your corrective procedure!

Mario Diana, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

The Larger the Implants the Higher the Risk

+1
Thank you for your question.  You are correct that a larger frame patient can safely have a larger implant without significantly increasing your risks.   Unfortunately, you have already experienced one of the possible complications of having a larger implant...malposition.  Larger implants have a higher risk of wrinkling, palpability, capsular contracture and malposition.  I would recommend that you get this problem solved first.  Larger implants would potentially also put the capsulorapphy at risk due to the weight of the larger implant.  Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Capsulorraphy for Breast Implant Bottoming Out and Going Bigger?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Capsulorraphy surgery can be very successful in correcting breast implant malposition problems. I would suggest that you discuss your goals and concerns with your plastic surgeon carefully. Communicate what you would like to achieve in regards to breast size and ask your plastic surgeon to do so, with the first priority being safety ( avoidance of recurrence of the breast implant malposition).

In other words, it may be possible to go larger safely;  often this type of decision is best made during surgery, after the repair (capsulorraphy) has been completed. Careful measurements at that time will allow your plastic surgeon to determine whether a larger breast implant can be used safely.

Again, preoperative communication ( in my practice I find the use of goal pictures helpful) will be very important.

Best wishes with your upcoming procedure.