I have saliene implants and am going for the 5th revision surgery due to deflation. Would silicone implants be more durable?

one has deflated again never on the same side. Do you feel that silicone would be a more durable product for me? Silicone was not available at that time. Also what can be done to prevent capsular contractures, encapsulation. Is there anything during or after surgery to help with that kind of problem? I heard massaging after surgery helps to prevent scar tissue build up. UPSET have to do this again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swith to silicone gel implants after multiple saline deflations

+1
Because silicone gel is cohesive, meaning that it is a semi-solid, they will not deflate as saline implants do. The form-stable (gummy bear) implants have a firmer gel and might be a good choice. massage will not prevent capsular contracture and should not be done with form stable implants. Under the muscle helps, and if you have had problems with contracture before (which can contribute to deflations) then definitely consider Strattice.

Breast

+1

In my opinion, I always recommend silicone instead of saline. I believe that they're much reliable and look and feel more natural.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

5th Breast Augmentation Revision Needed because of Deflation of Saline Implant.

+1
 The main concerns that I have noticed with Saline Implant have been deflation problems. Saline implants have a fill valve on the back and I believe that a significant cause of leakage are from around the valve itself.  The exchange of the implant is a relatively easy procedure but your need for your 5th revision because of deflation is extreme.  In my estimation the current Silicone and the Saline implants will become obsolete very shortly. The new high tension gel implant (gummy bear) is my implant of choice because:
     1.It is very life like when compared to the silicone implant and the unnatural saline implant.
     2.In the event of a rare rupture, the silicone does not leak into the patients tissue with the high tension gel          implant.
     3.Some studies indicate that the possible scarring, that can occur, around the new implant is markedly reduced.
So my recommendations would be to find a experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to perform the procedure and seriously consider the High Tension Gel Implant(Sientra). I have been using them for the past year and don't plan on ever going back to the traditional gel filled implant or the Saline Implant. Good Luck

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

Silicone vs Saline

+1
Silicone may be a good choice as they do not deflate. If you did not have capsule contractures with the saline, you will probably not get them with silicone as the shells of both are the same. Talk to your doctor and explore the alternatives.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

I have saline implants and am going for the 5th revision surgery due to deflation.

+1
I'm sorry to hear you have had so much trouble with your implants. Most patients get more life out of them, but there is no predicting how long they will last. So far the science of implants has not come up with permanent implants so we always put them in with the understanding a replacement will be nedded someday. that goes for silicone filled implants too. But the silicone implants are not water or even liquid so if there is a shell defect the gel stays in the area so it is much more difficult to diagnose a leak.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD