Is 3 Weeks Post-Op Breast Augmentation Too Soon to Return to Work?

I had a breast augmentation almost 3 weeks ago. I have 390cc in R. & 400cc in L. high pro. saline under muscle. Dr told me I can return to work after 2 weeks (massage therapist) & said I can continue doing deep tissue massages after 2 if fine, if not def. by 3 wks. I started reg. ct's back up having deep tissues & Im nervous about it causing some kind of damage because it is alot of pec. work & pressure being used on my part. I checked in w/ dr again he said it's fine looking for opinions??

Recovery

Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

About 6 weeks

Generally, I advise patients that they can start doing more intense physical activity at 3 weeks, and upper body strength exercises at 6 weeks after surgery. Therefore, you should probably wait about 6 weeks if you use upper body strength often in your job.

Time off Work for Massage Therapist

Each surgeon has his or her own guidelines for recovery. Typically, patients can return to light activity after 5 to 7 days. More strenuous activity may take 3 to 6 weeks. Consult with your board certified surgeon as he or she will understand the scope of the surgery and the specifics of you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Returning to work after a breast augmentation

The only activities I would restrict a patient to after a breast augmentation would be not to lift greater than 20 pounds and avoid activities where the breasts bounce up and down for 6 weeks. Atlanta Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Z

Activity after breast augmentation with breast implants.

I ask my patients who have implants placed under the muscle to be very careful for 3 weeks with full pectoralis muscle exertion in a repetitive way, like running,and latissimus pull down exercises on a machine. I would caution you to listen to your body and maybe ice after each session. After 6 weeks you should be able to do anything you want. 

Laurie Casas, MD

When to return to work

I think you will be fine.  I would imagine you could have returned to work sooner as well.  Its the agressive activity that we want you to refrain from such as running, heavy lifting, high impact.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Is 3 Weeks Post-Op Breast Aug. Too Soon to Return to Work?Answer:

For my patients, no bouncing for 2 weeks and back to work in 3-7 days. 3 weeks is a lot and by then, you should be able to get back to work, even massage tx.  For my patients I tell them, it may hurt you but it shouldn’t hurt your result!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Sounds like it is OK but over the internet we can not advise you what and when to do things. Always best to follow your surgeon's advise. 

Post operative care and healing after a breast augmentation

2 weeks  is a usual amount of healing..  you may still be sore for weeks even months depending on activity.   start slow .. spasms can occur  and can be treated.   if you are very uncomfortable,  wait..  people heal differently

Two weeks off after breast aug is usually enough time

Most patients are able to return to work somewhere between the first and second week after surgery.  If your job requires alot of heavy upper body activity, you may need an additional week away from work.  Actually, the more active your are after surgery, the faster the pectoralis muscles adapt to the implants.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon