What is Going on Here? My Breast Look Fake and Distorted. (photo)

I am very sad to say how unhappy I am w/the outcome of my implants. This is what they look like holding my hands above my head, they fall awkward and look distorted when lying on my back and they are hard but not painful, they feel and look very fake, NOT the look I was hoping for. I had no idea that MD's could take a few classes & be qualified to do plastic surgery. ) : My bad. I am devastated and do not know what to do to fix this. Please someone give me some advice

This is NOT plastic surgery--it is a poorly-performed cosmetic operation performed by a non-plastic surgeon!

+2

Every cosmetic operation is NOT performed by fully-trained and American Board of Plastic Surgery-certified plastic surgeons. There are Dermatologists, Otolaryngologists (Ear, Nose and Throat), Gynecologists, General Surgeons, Family Practitioners, etc. who decide their chosen specialty is not what they really want to do, so they take a few weekend courses, spend time with another non-plastic surgeon who teaches them how to fool unsuspecting, gullible patients into believing they are qualified to perform cosmetic surgery, and open up shop! It is important to understand that even though a "real" plastic surgeon may also sometimes have less than ideal results, years of proper training, experience, and ABPS certification allow most problems to be avoided, and those that do occur to be skillfully overcome.

Unfortunately, you have severe capsular contracture.

You need to have your implants removed and hope there is enough elasticity left in your chest skin to allow placement of new, slightly smaller, lower profile (silicone recommended to minimize visible rippling with your extremely thin overlying tissues) implants placed below your pectoralis major muscles. This may even take two operations and will not be an "easy" procedure. It will cost more than your initial breast augmentation.

You should go to plasticsurgery.org to find ABPS-certified plastic surgeons in your area, and consult with several of them to discuss your available options and recommendations. Get going and good luck!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is important.

+1

No true plastic surgeon has "taken a few classes & be qualified to do plastic surgery." It sounds as though you had your breast augmentation performed by someone other than a plastic surgeon. From you photos, a revision surgery is recommended. Before you proceed however, go to the website listed in the reference section to find Board Certified Plastic Surgeons in your area.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Revision Breast Surgery

+1

Unfortunately, it sounds like you had your surgery perform by a non-plastic surgeon.  It is very important to research your surgeon prior to surgery and ensure that they are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  At this point, you would need an in person consultation and more details about your implants and surgery.  You may benefit from sub muscular placement of the implants, smaller implants, and possible mastopexy to accommodate for the redundant skin.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Poor results after breast augmentation

+1

You may benefit from revision surgery with carfeully selected implants and submuscular placement. Please consult a Board Certified, experienced plastic surgeon for corrective surgery as you can achieve a natural and pleasing appearance. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons' web site can help you select a specialist in your region. 

Good luck.

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Unsatisfactory Results?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your experience and your dissatisfaction with the results of breast surgery. Unfortunately, without direct examination it is not possible to give you accurate advice and/or treatment recommendations.

It will be up to you to do your due diligence in the process of selecting a plastic surgeon  who has significant experience helping patients in your situation. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate on  breast surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

You will find,  while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

Once you have done your research,  I'm sure you will be able to find a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate significant experience to you. At that point, you will feel comfortable proceeding with the revisionary surgery.

Poor result after augmentation

+1

You would benefit from revisional surgery.  From you photos, my approach would be under the muscle and smaller implants.  Revisional surgery can be very, very tricky and I advise to seek care with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who has a lot experience with revisional surgery. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Go to plasticsurgery.org

+1

My advice: go to the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, and find a surgeon near you who can advise you properly. From the photos, you are correct to be disappointed. Appropriately chosen implants, postioned correctly should give you a better outcome. Good luck. 

Postop result

+1

I agree with the other posters here.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to discuss your options.  Certainly, you need correction of the capsular contractures and would be better served by implants placed under the muscle, if you elect to replace the implants.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Not Happy

+1

I agree with the other responders.  There are a couple of issues.  The implants appear to be over the muscle, you appear to be quite slim with little body fat and a small amount of breast tissue. In this case I would have placed the implants under the muscle.  I do think the implants are a bit large for your body so a more appropriate sized implant would have been better.

The implant has a very spherical shape which may be due to the fact that they are overfilled saline implants or because of excess scar tissue around a saline or silicone implant.  We won't know that without information from you or your doctor and with examining you.

You should have a consultation with a coupe of board certified plastic surgeons in your area who will give you recommendations and options.

Thank you for your question and for the photo.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Undesired results

+1
Unfortunately, you appear to have implants placed above the muscle with the development of capsular contracture (scar tissue around the implant causing hardening). The implants appear to large for your chest and breast dimensions. There are some options to try to improve the appearance of your breasts. You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated and to discuss the options available.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon