Is it Helpful to Have Pictures of Desired Breast Results?

Are goal pics helpful in determining final size and results of implants?

Bringing Pictures To The Consultation

+2

In my opinion, I don't find pictures useful since all breasts are different. Say you bring in a particular picture, we don't know what that person looked like before and your breast shape, size and position may be entirely different. In my practice, we give patients implants to try on and do VECTRA 3D imaging too. You may try the "rice method" too to help assess what size you want to be. 

They can be helpful

+1

Hello. I think they can be helpful to an extent. The most important thing is that patients and doctors are able to understand and express each others goals to each other and pictures can definitely help. I would suggest going to a plastic surgery website and finding before and after pictures with before pictures as close to your current breasts as possible.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Any tools that can aid communication are important for implant sizing!

+1

We talk about this constantly within our office.  How best to translate patients desires into an implant type and size?  Bringing in photos can certainly add a piece to the puzzle - but we've found there are still other pieces that can add to the discussion.  In our office we use Vectra 3D simulation technology to also view profiles, placements and cc's on the patients actual frame.  I have found this to be very helpful to patients to see actual implants on their body.  Bringing in photos can sometimes be unrealistic and lead to false expectations.  Used with the Vectra - and lots of talking!- pictures of your desired breasts results can help to bridge the gap between your expectations and what's actually possible.  Best of luck.

Glenn M. Davis, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Pictures and implants

+1

I think it is reasonable to show your surgeon what you are looking for in a result.  THey can be used as a simple guide and nothing more.

Photos of desired breast shape?

+1

Thank you for your question.  The answer to this will vary from surgeon to surgeon.  I think photos of a desired breast shape are helpful to bring to your visit because it helps to establish what you envision and what your expectations are.  It may or may not be possible to achieve the same results as a photo in your particular situation, but it helps your surgeon know what your goals are and helps prevent misunderstandings or miscommunication in the long run.  

Good luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Communication is the key to a successful outcome in breast enhancement surgery

+1

The key to getting the result that you want is making sure that your surgeon understands your goals.  After all patient satisfaction is our ultimate reward.  Photos are one way of showing what type of result your are looking for.  After an examination we can tell whether or not you have realistic expectations.  We use the Vectra 3D system to allow our patients to visualize there result using different implant sizes and shapes.  The implant that I am going to use is selected in this process and I have had no patient complaints about not being the size they desired.  What ever method your surgeon uses communication is the key to success.  

Desired Breast Photos Helpful

+1

I think that the most helpful thing is for the patient to try sizers in the office to get a sense of how the implant will look on them.  Photos can help guide the plastic surgeon to some extent.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Are Photos helpful for Breast Augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question. Yes photos can be helpful during a breast augmentation consultation. They can be helpful in understanding your goals and expectations from the surgery. Additionally, we have sample implant sizes and 3-D imaging to aid in the decision making process.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

Are pictures helpful to the surgeon

+1

Yes, goal photos are very useful in communication, muchmoreso that cup sizes that have no uniformly accepted definitions.

Also useful are measurements which your surgeon will take at a consultation. My preference in sizing is to have patients try on sample implants wearing an elastic bra which we provide, and a top typically worn by the patient. With that info, I can help choose a size that most closely approaches the patient's goal. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

The look is all that matters with breast augmentation

+1

Very often we read about breast augmentation by the numbers on this site, however the look is what you should be after as numbers are misleading and soon forgoten. Good pictures and a clear discussion of how you wish to look after breast augmentation is the best way to get what you want.