Should I Be Having Lipo or at TT? (photo)

Will i have a totally flat tummy, should i have lipo? I weigh 145lb (66kilos) bmi 27.6 height 1.55 not sure in '' the height. my ideal weight is 60kg's so i need to lose 6 kilos about 10lbs.... so whould i have lipo or is the full TT enough, i dont want to be too much in pain as i know lipo is painfull and i only have 2 weeks off work... (desk job) and its really expensive, took me 2 yrs to save the money (R 40 000) for the full TT

You NEED a tummy tuck

+2

if your goal is to have as flat a tummy as possible... liposuction will take out the fat but your skin is already hanging and it will not change without a tummy tuck.

+2

Thanks for asking, definitely You  are a candidate for a tummy tuck because you have a lot of excess skin sagging and, of course, liposuction on waist and flanks is necessary for a better contour and refinement of the results

Jose Luis Acosta Collado, MD

Should I Be Having Lipo or Tummy Tuck?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.
 Congratulations on your weight loss plus far;  you are wise when it comes to your plan to continue weight loss prior to undergoing surgery.  Achieving your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding well help minimize complications and improve the outcome of the procedure performed.
 There is no “less invasive” alternative to tummy tuck surgery that will be effective and  achieve  aesthetically pleasant results.  For example, liposuction surgery will leave you with loose/irregular/unattractive skin.  Other, non-surgical modalities, will waste your time and resources.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work. Be careful with your decision-making and make sure  that you do not undergo any procedure that leads you dissatisfied and in need of additional surgery. It would certainly be better to avoid surgery altogether than to have an experience you are  unhappy with.

Of course, you are correct in that tummy tuck surgery does involve  a significant physical and emotional “recovery time”. I have  attached some advice that I provide to my patients who are about to go tummy tuck surgery:
1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Liposuction verses tummy tuck depends on expectations.

+1

In this case if the patient wants a completely flat abdomen the only procedure that will accomplish that is an abdominoplasty. If some flattening is all what is desired liposuction might be a suitable alternative. It will do nothing for the skin.

Should I Be Having Lipo or at TT?

+1

Dear Kerry,

thank you for your post.  You definitely need a tummytuck.  extra fat from under the skin that remains can be taken out with a scaple rather than liposuction, and this is actually safer.  If you are seeking contour adjustment on the flanks, hips, lovehandles, etc. then you would need liposuction as well.

Best Wishes,

Pablo PRichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck for muscle flaccity and hanging skin

+1

in your case you need a tummy tuck because you have muscle flaccity and hanging skin those problems only can be solved muscle repair and skin cut.

Ramon Sabala, MD

Tummy tuck or liposuction

+1

I would say you need both to get a nice improvement. You have more skin on the tummy area for just liposuction and the upper tummy and waist will benafit from liposuction. So the two procedures together should do the trick. Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Should I Be Having Lipo or at TT?

+1

Based on your picture, you definitely need a full TT to get rid of the excess skin.  It also looks like you would benefit having lipo done in the upper abdomen and sided as well.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Liposuction or Tummy Tuck

+1

Hi Kerry, Thank you for your question.  It is difficult to give you advice based on only a side view of your abdomen.  I recommend you not make the decision on which procedures to have based on pain of the procedure.  If you have a tummy tuck planned with your plastic surgeon, he/she should be able to advise you as to whether liposuction will help enhance your tummy tuck result.  Liposuction will not add significantly to your recovery time, and if you are already making an investment in the procedure, you want to be thrilled with your result. It will be less expensive than planning a subsequent liposuction later on.  You shouldn't require any additional time off for your recovery should you and your plastic surgeon decide tummy tuck and liposuction combined are your best option. Good luck to you.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Lipo vs Tummy Tuck

+1

You will certainly need an abdominoplasty as you have too much excess skin for liposuction alone to create a desirable abdominal profile.

Regards,

Dr Kevin Ho

Kevin Ho, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon