Glycolic Peel for Stretch Marks?

Can multiple sessions of Glycolic Peels effectively reduce the visibility of stretch marks?

Glycolic peels for stretch marks may offer improvement

+1

While multiple sessions of Glycolic Peels may offer some improvement for stretch marks, we are not a big proponent. We use q-switched lasers (dark stretch marks), pulsed dye lasers (red stretch marks) and the Aramis laser (textured stretch marks) for best results. Good luck.

Glycolic peels for stretch marks

+1

I agree that glycolic peels early in the formation of stretch marks (when reddish-purple) may be of modest benefit, but so would topical tretinoin / vitamin A acid which would be much less costly.  

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Depends on Stage

+1

Glycolic acid has the ability to moderately stimulate collagen synthesis and can be used for the treatment of stretch marks. I would only recommend them in the early stages, however.

When stretch marks are in the "red" stage, striae rubra, they are are amenable to treatment with a number of products including glycolic acid. After three or four in office peels you will probably notice a slight change in their length, width and intensity. In office peels are safe for all skin types, although lower concentrations should be used for darker skin tones. Adding a retinoid can make the glycolic peel somewhat more effective. Various prescription strength retinoids are often appled as a preparation for a glycolic peel.

It would also be of some value to employ OTC strength glycolic acid creams. For this, I would recommend the highest concentrations available. This can be found in MD Forte Glycare I and Neo-Strata Ultra Smoothing Lotion. The latter is quite reasonable in price. We sell it for $18, prices might be higher in NYC or LA.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist