30% Glycolic Acid Chemical Peel for Scars?

I have scars on my legs mostly because of some ingrown hair. Can I remove them with 30% Glycolic Acid Chemical Peel?

Glycolic 30% is not a good choice for scar removal, but can be helpful for dark spots

+3

Glycolic peels are best used on the face for dark areas (sun damage, melasma) and to refresh the skin. They are not helpful for removing scars, and judging from what you are mentioning, it sounds like you have post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (darkness) rather than actual scarring. While the glycolic 30% would work slightly for this on the face, using it on the leg, while not harmful, may be quite irritating. Rather, I would advise strict sunavoidance, time, and perhaps a bleaching cream to acheive your desired effects. If ingrown hairs continue to be a problem, consider doing laser hair removal so that you don't have to deal with this problem anymore.

Good luck!

Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Chemical peels for scars

+2

I agree that what you're describing sounds more like post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. While your dermatologist can prescribe various bleaching cream formulations which are more effective and cheaper than a glycolic acid peel, you should consider laser hair removal to prevent further ingrown hairs and further dark spots; that is, deal with the root cause.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Glycolic and Scars

+1

No, a glycolic acid is not going to help with scars.  Glycolic peels help to improve hyperpigmentation, fine lines, wrinkles, texture, and skin impurities.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD