Does Some Glue Stop Bruising in Facelifts?

If so, what is it called? Does it add significant cost to the surgery?

+2

The literature to support any benefit from tissue sealants in facelifts is weak.   They add several hundred dollars to the cost.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facelifts, facelift revisions, and facial procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+2

Tissue glues can be expected to reduce some initial swelling and bruising. However, they will not change the ultimate result. Further, tissue glues will not make up for sloppy or inexperienced technique. I do not typically use them following facelift procedures but have many very good colleagues that swear by them. There is a wide range of opinions among facial surgery experts about their utility. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Dear Curious,

Thank you for your question. Yes, there are fibrin glues, such as Artiss or Tisseal that form fibrin clots, much like your own blood does.  This seals the surfaces of the wounds.  This can decrease some of the initial swelling, but the end result is probably unchanged.  It ands about $200 to the procedure because of the cost of the product.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tissue glue can help with recovery in face lift surgery

+2

Thank you for the question.  Tissue glue can help recovery in face lift surgery.   It comes in several brands one of which is Artiss and it does add  100-200 dollars to the cost of surgery.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Does glue stop bruising in facelifts?

+2

Fibrin glue may be used by some surgeons who perform facelifts.  The glue may help as an adhesive as well as help stop any bleeding from the wound.  If the surgery is performed well, I would say that your ultimate result would not necessarily be different whether the glue was used or not.  Bleeding is normally stopped during the surgery, so that is not usually a problem, with or without the glue.  My opinion would be that it's possible the glue could help, but it's not a necessity.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tissue Glues in Facelift Surgery

+1

Tissue glues do add cost to facelift surgery, typically between $300-500. The main question is their effectiveness.  I have found gentle technique superior to tissue glues.  However, tissue glues main advantage is in the early postoperative period. 

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising and tissue glue

+1

Tissue glue is meant to help with fluid collections and not necessarily bleeding and bruising. Surgeons who use it are typically trying to reduce the requirement for drains

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Glue in facelifts

+1

Like most things in cosmetic surgery, honest doctors may disagree.  I have heard it said that the use of medical grade glue decreases swelling and is worth the added cost.  Many others however do not agree.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tissue glues for facelift surgery

+1

tissue glues act more as a sealant, and platelet gels act more to reduce bruising, in general. They do not affect the final result in my opinion, so the surgical technique is most important in this surgery. Discuss the option with your surgeon, as the additional cost can vary from about $200 to $550.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fibrin Glue and Facelifts

+1

"Facial Glue" and Facelifts

Tissue fibrin glue may help with the initial swelling from the surgery but in my clinical experience of more than 100 facelifts per year, I have not found a significant difference and after a few trials do not use this. My feeling is that it adds cost to the procedure, about a few hundred dollars, without significant benefit and the  final results will not change. There are many different brands and types of "facial glue" out there, and you should discuss with your surgeon the pros and cons about their use

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS