Can I Take Glucosamine After Otoplasty?

Hi, I had otoplasty in December 2010 and had a revision in July 2011, and I used to take glucosamine before that but stopped (just for a few weeks) . I'm wondering if it is ok to go back to take it. I have weak ankles and I used to take it whenever I sprain my ankle or have any kind of related injury. The pill is glucosamine HCI 1500mg with MSM 1500mg. Thank you

Glucosamine and Otoplasty

+1

Glucosamine is usually okay by itself before a procedure.  Glucosamine can artificially lower blood sugars so that if your procedure required you to fast, you may experience hypoglycemia.

Most glucosamine comes prepared with chondroitin, which mimics heparin, thereby thinning blood.  In addition, the quality of many of the herbal supplements has come into light and so beware of manufacturer and any cross contamination which can cause unexplained and potentially harmful/blood thinning.

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Glucosamine after otoplasty

+1

This should not be a problem. I have had many people on glucosamine before and after surgery without any issues.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty and Postop Supplements?

+1

There should be no problem resuming your intake of glucosamine after otoplasty surgery.

Glucosamine and Otoplasty

+1

To my knowledge there is no reason you could not resume your glucosamine at this point. Glucosamine should not interfere with your Otoplasty.