Will Botox Take Care of Glabellar Lines with Thin Skin?

I am only 29 and have noticeable glabellar lines that are present even when I don't furrow my brow. I also have thin skin. I am headed for a botox consultation in a couple weeks, but am wondering - will botox take care of these lines? They're not extremely deep, but more noticeable than most before/after photos I've seen of others with "problems" in this area. I'm just wondering what to expect.

Filling Your Glabellar Lines

+2

Botox is the trade name of Botulinum Toxin Type A, a purified neurotoxin complex manufactured by Allergan.  It’s most common use is to reduce wrinkle lines caused by overactive muscle movement.  By relaxing the muscle the appearance of the wrinkle will be less.  A general rule is after treatment the appearance of the wrinkle will be the same as when you are not contracting the muscle and it is at rest.  As for your glabellar lines you would be a ideal candidate for Botox between your brows. Keepin mind, Botox takes 3-5 days to see early affects and is maximal by 7-14 days.  If the effect does not meet your needs the simple addition of a soft tissue filler can often soften the line further and prolong the clinical effectiveness of the Botox.  Remember to ask your physician what realistic expectations you should see following treatment. 

Dean Johnston, MD FACS 

Probably be even more attractive than the photo demonstrates if you get rid

+1

of the wrinkles...botox is a perfect solution...the idea of thin skin doesn't matter...but don't drink too much...causes problems with the skin over time...

Ken Landow, MD

Botox for glabellar lines

+1

Botox will soften glabellar lines and prevent them from deepening.  There is no problem if your skin is thin.  If you continue to have the lines even after your Botox injections, you may need some filler for plumping.  They complement each other, especially in this area.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox is excellent for glabellar wrinkles

+1

Botox is the treatment of choice for glabellar lines.  Thin skin is not an issue. It's rare that people have thin skin in the glabellar area. These frown lines are there because the muscle of the glabella has contracted for years and the skin overlying the muscles acts like an accordion.  Then the creases stay. Once the Botox relaxes the muscles and they no longer conrtract, the skin becomes smoother.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox treatment of Glabellar Lines

+1

Based on your description you should have a nice improvement with Botox treatment. If you have lines present at  rest  you may also benefit from the use of fillers.

Botox for thin skin - Fort Lauderdale

+1

Botox is ok for use in patients with thin skin as the product is injected in the deep muscles of facial expression curtailing any concern for thickness of the epidermis. 

Will Richardson, MD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox can help to prevent those fine lines from getting deeper

+1

If you start to treat the fines lines now with Botox it can smooth them out by relaxing the muscle under the skin.  Botox at regular intervals is also a good option to help prevent those lines from deepening over time.  Your Botox results are not related to the thickness of your skin but to the muscle strenth, units used, and to the depth of the wrinkle.  Fair caucasian skin that is thin is more prone to developing wrinkles earlier in life, so Botox may be  a good wrinkle prevention in your case.  You can locate a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon by checking the websites of  the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery or the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.

Dan Mills, MD

Botox is only part of the solution.

+1

Botox is used to reduce the appearance of dynamic or motion-induced wrinkling.  With time, skin overlying areas of facial motion like the forehead, glabella, crow's foot, and mouth areas shows fixed wrinkles.  This is due to multiple factors including collagen loss and sun damage.  In my practice botox is used in combination with resurfacing procedures such as chemical peels and laser to address both the mobile and fixed components of skin lines.  Additionally if volume loss is making the wrinkles worse, injectible filler can be used to counteract this.  Here in Denver, we have a young population, but with our sun exposure and low humidity, we see skin aging earlier than other parts of the country.  29 is not too young to be proactive!

Warmest regards,

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Smoothing Base of Nose (Glabellar) Frown Lines

+1

Botox will not smooth base of nose (Glabellar) lines present at rest but will improve them. The fact that you have thin skin works in your favor as such lines CAN be flattened nicely by the addition of a syringe of either Restylane or Juvederm to the treatment with Botox. Combination treatment not only works better but the results will last longer.

Botox for Frown Lines and Thin Skin

+1

Hi afisher1,

Thank you for your question. Botox is the primary method to help treat frown lines in all skin types. Botox works on the facial muscles which cause wrinkles, not the skin itself. As a result, Botox works will for thick or think skin. Initially, after 1-2 weeks you should see improvement of the furrows when smiling or active facial movement. Over time, one may see improvement in the  wrinkles at rest too. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a specialist help determine appropriate options for you.

Don't forget other skin care tips such as hydration, avoid smoking, and sun block. Best of luck, you will enjoy your results!

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon