Is glabella typically treated during botox brow lift?

I received botox injections to lift the lateral brows, but I think part of the problem is the glabella. Is the glabella typically addressed in a standard botox brow lift and will injecting the glabella help to further lift the brows?

Brow lift through Botox

+1
Yes, in order to have a "brow lift" effect you definitely need the glabella area injected.  To have the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience in Botox.

Botox in glabella

+1
I always treat the glabella when I inject botox.  Specifically, the muscles that pull the brow down and in to eliminate the creases there and lift the brow. 
Make sure you are seeing a board - certified plastic surgeon who would understand this anatomy best.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Glabella treatment key to botox browlift

+1
The simple answer is yes... the depressor muscles in the glabella pull the brow down and create the 11s between the eyes.   By treating them with botox, the brow elevates.  Likewise, by treating the central forehead and not the lateral, the brows get pulled up laterally.  Finally, treating the orbicularis under each brow laterally helps to create an arch in the brow.   The botox browlift is a great alternative to a surgical browlift in many patients.

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD

Botox brow lift

+1
The brow position is an intricate interplay between the glabellar muscle complex (a complex of 5 muscles pulling the brows in and down, frequently resulting in the hated "elevens" and the horizontal line across the top of the nose) and the forehead muscle, the frontalis - the ONLY muscle pulling the brows up.  In addition, the lateral portion of the orbicularis muscle, (the one typically responsible for the crows feet), pulls the outside of the brow down.  An experienced injector can play this "game of chess", if you will, knowing which muscles to inject and give you the most optimal brow position and shape. 

Injecting the glabellar complex and the crows feet area the right way would typically lift the brow in the center and at the tips by about 1 to 2 mm, allowing you to see more of your eyelid, resulting in a more aesthetically pleasing appearance, and easing the application of your eye makeup.  Furthermore, a few tiny injections into the forehead can help arch your brow, if that is the shape you desire.

My advice is to see an experienced dermatologist or aesthetic surgeon (plastic, oculoplastic, or facial plastic), to achieve the best results.

Good luck!

Tatiana Khrom, MD

Treatment of the glabella during a brow lift

+1
An injection in the glabellar area is considered part of a brow lift.  It usually does not stop frowning though, since additional glabellar muscles also need to be treated for the frown. An experienced injector can assess your movement to determine the ideal treatment for you.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

There's no standard that applies to everyone...

+1
of course you need your physician to evaluate your specific needs and arrive at an individualized treatment plan...for some people treatment at the lateral brow may be sufficient...others need injections to both the glabella and the lateral brow...and once you find what works, then maintain that same injection pattern to accomplish the same results...

Ken Landow, MD

Botox and browlifts

+1
A chemical browlift is done to the lateral brow, with an injection just under the brow.  That helps lift a mm or two, but just the lateral tail of the brow.   The effect can be amplified when you add botox in the crows feet as well, in addition but below the browlift site of injection.  So if you went to an experienced injector, that's what becomes the focus.
If you inject the glabella, some patients develop compensatory strength in the frontalis muscle.  In other words, the brow may be lifted as well.  However in my experience, there is no way to predict which patient responds this way.  And it happens in the minority of cases.  So in my practice, we don't promise a brow lift effect with glabellar injections.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Brow Lift

+1
Yes, Botox should be used to relax the muscles in the glabella to help lift the brows as they pull down and in.  This is commonly performed at the same time that the crow's feet are treated for best results.

Carey Nease, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Glabella and botox brow lifting

+1
It depends on the individual patient and their needs. Most well trained dermatologists and plastic surgeons will evaluate the patient's individual needs and not follow the cookie cutter approach used by many spas. A brow lift can be achieved without treating the glabella for some patients but many often benefit by treating the glabella and the forehead as well. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

BOTOX and brows

+1
Botox may or may not be used at the glabellar frown during a brow lift.  If you just want the ;lateral lift it is not necessary to do the glabellar area.  If you want a total brow lift you must do both lateral and medial areas.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon