Glabella/Radix and Philtrum Augmentation

How can this procedure of Glabella/radix and philtrum augmentation be done? Better with done with grafts or fillers?

Augmenting glabella/radix

+1

Natural cartilage harvested from the septum is the most common type of graft used to fill out the bridge and the radix. Elevating the tip and opening up the nasolabial angle is usually done by trimming the cartilaginous caudal septum. We do not recommend any fillers be placed inside of the nose because of disastrous complications due to them.

Radix and Upper Lip Augmentation with Either Cartilage Grafts or Injectable Fillers

+1

Hi Anon6086,

As other rhinoplasty specialists have already stated, both cartilage grafts or injectable fillers are options to augment the glabella / radix and philtrum / upper lip areas. Cartilage grafts are permanent, while fillers are temporary lasting several months to a year. One other potential option is to move the upper jaw & midface bone forward with plastic surgery. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon to help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Glabella/Radix and Philtrum Augmentation.

+1

The radix can be augmented with  fillers , but if you want a more permanent solution use grafts. Fillers are best for the glabella (the area in the forehead between the eyebrows) and the philtrum.

Glabella and philtrum

+1

Fillers may do the trick as a temporary treatment to see if you like the results.  Radix grafts are not always the best because they may show irregularities.

+1

Thanks for the posted photos!!! It really helps discuss. I would first try fillers to these areas to see if the appearance is what you want. If not than these fillers will metabolize away in a few months. But if you like the result than some form of grafting either cartilage of bony can be done. Best of luck. 

Philtral Fillers and glabellar concerns.

+1

There are a variety of fillers avaialble with Restylane or Juvederm being some of the most popular for the lips. The glabellar area is more challenging due to rare reports of vascular occlusion with tissue necrosis. This is probably less likely with fat grafting.

Fillers over surgery if you're not sure

+1

I would certainly try the fillers first.  These will last 6 months to a year if you use restylane or juvaderm and can easily be dissolved with hyaluronidase if you really hate it.  The philtral columns are best treated with hyaluronic acid.  If you are having surgery then I would also use grafts for glabellar and radix augmentation.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Start with Injectables

+1

To enhance the areas you outline on the photo (glabella, philtrum), consider injectables first.  There are several on the market, and should be quite nice.  If you are going to undergo rhinoplasty and will be changing the shape of your nose, then I'd consider cartilage grafts placed at the time of surgery - a radix graft and a premaxillary graft would do very nicely to make the changes you outline on this profile photo. 

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Glabellar radix and philtral augmentation

+1
All three can be done with filler but only the glabellar and radix can be grafted. The advantages of fillers are that they are reversible. You can try it to see if you like the new look. If you do and want a more permanent solution than a surgical procedure with grafts would be your answer.
Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to help you make this important decision. I hope this was helpful. 

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Radix and philtrum better with fillers or grafts?

+1

Philtrum is better augmented with fillers. The same is true of the radix, unless you are having a rhinoplasty--then grafts are more advantages.