Is Giving my Own Injections with Drugs to Prevent Clots Usual?

Clinic has advised me that I will be shown how to give myself injections with anti-blood clot meds. Is this a usual practice?

Self-injecting medication to prevent blood clots

+1

Hi there-

The medications you refer to are easily, safely and commonly administered by patients themselves at home.

Because blood clots are the most serious of the relatively common complications after tummy tuck surgery, this practice is becoming more common as well.

Self-Injection with Blood Clot Thinning Medication

+1

Because of the insidious nature of blood clot formation our protocols for preventing and managing them have changed through the years. Several medications can be given by self-injection under the skin. Although the vast majority of people can do it after minor education this is common. If you do not think you can do it, you will have to pay out of pocket (unless your insurer pays for it) for a nurse to administer the shots.

Self- injections for blood thinners

+1

Medications to minimize the risk of forming clots or to help dissolve clots that are already present are commonly self-administered at home.  If not done by you, then a visiting nurse would be required.

Blood thinners prevent blood clots after tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

In New York City, we use this routine to prevent blood clots after tummy tuck in high risk patients. You inject the blood thinner once a day beginning the day after surgery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Self administration of blood thinning injections

+1

This has been extremely common in the USA and is essentially utiilizes the same educational model for the injection techniques as taught to diabetic patients. The physician will advise you to the proper dose and timing as well as the number of weeks of treatment required. Occasionally, blood tests are drawn to monitor your status or possible side effects. 

Treatment for blood clots

+1

Yes, if you have a blood clot, then home injections are common for treatment.  In the past, before the home injections, you needed to stay many days to weeks in the hospital for IV medications.  With the new home injections, you are able to return home.  Blood clots are very rare but can be dangerous.  It is great that your doctors were able to make the appropriate diagnosis and started you on the treatment.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD