Will A Mini Tummy Tuck Get Rid Of My Stretch Marks And Tighten Abs? How Big Will The Scar Be? (photo)

I would like to remove as much stretchmarks as possible off my belly. As well give the waist a more feminine shape and eventually tighten the abs. Will I be able to hide the (mini) tummy tuck scar in low waist pants/ bikinis? And how big will the scar be? Thanks!

Mini tummy tuck

+1

A mini-tummy tuck will not remove many stretch marks, as there usually isn't any undermining above the umbilicus, and only a limited amount of skin removed. The incision is certainly shorter with the mini-tummy tuck, which is reserved for patients that have good skin and muscle tone above the umbilicus, and only need tightening  below. And it is because of this that most of your stretch marks are not removed with this procedure. The most important thing to do is find a board-certified plastic surgeon you feel comfortable with and discuss both the full and mini-tummy tuck, and see which procedure will help you achieve your goals better.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Given the  pictures and your goals, you will likely be better off with a full tummy tuck operation.

A few words of caution for patients contemplating tummy tuck surgery may be in order:  In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Mini tuck vs full tummy tuck

+1

The amount of looseness above the belly button and the area around the belly button will not be helped by a mini-tuck. You need a full tummy tuck. Sometimes the muscle tightening doesn't make you more feminine. The scar, if planned correctly, should be hidden under the bikini bottom or your underwear.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon