Can You Give Me a Second Opinion Please?

I had upper and lower eye lid surgery done one year ago. Since then my left lower eye lid droops. It has improved over the past year, but still droops enough that I have to put an eye ointment in the eye each night to prevent dryness and irritation. My surgeon says he wants to fix it by putting small slits in the upper and lower lids. Then run a suture from the lower lid and attach it to the bone on the left corner of the eye and do the same for the upper lid. Do you think is right?

Second opinion.

+2

What you are describing may be a variant of a lateral canthoplasty/canthopexy. Eyelid retraction is certainly a risk in lower eyelid surgery, and as Oculoplastic surgeons, we are more often the surgeons that deal with repairing these problems.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

Web reference: http://seattleface.com/html/dr_amadi.php

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy Lower Lid After Surgery

+1

Cathie,

Droopiness of the lower lids is a possible risk in lower eyelid surgery.  Sometimes it can be corrected by repositioning the lower lid as you describe.  However, if there is scar tissue holding the lid down, other procedures may be needed to allow the eyelid to come up.  I would need to examine you to tell you if the planned procedure is appropriate for you.

If you are looking for a second opinion, I suggest an examination by an oculoplastic surgeon.  You can find one in your area at the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery - ASOPRS.org.

Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon