Can Someone Give Me a Ballpark Figure of What It Might Cost to Remove a Chin Implant?

Hello, I had Medepore Chin implant in what will be 5 weeks on Monday May 28, 2011. The doctor said he used the smallest size and trimmed it. To me it still looks very large. I am thinking of having it removed. What would be a ball park cost for removal, and possibly replacement. They only way I would replace is is they could do something of a different shape. I live in Massachusetts.

Chin Implant Removal and Replacement

+1

Costs vary by surgeon and even geographic location, but in my practice the costs of removal and replacement with another implant in the operating room would be roughly $4000 (the same as chin implantation alone). Most of the costs are related to anesthesia, facility/operating room fees, and the cost of a new implant itself.  If you are just having it removed, it would be about 1/2 of that price and some of that depends on if the removal is done in the office or in the operating room.

In the case of your implant material (medpor), it can be more difficult to remove than some of the other implants out there (silastic, goretex) because soft tissue and scar grow into the material. Therefore, I would advocate going to the operating room for removal. Silastic implants on the other hand could be pretty easily removed in the office/procedure room setting which would manifest in considerable savings as there are none of the above fees that I listed.

In your particular situation, I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon to see how he or she would handle it. Otherwise, consult with a board-certified surgeon with experience in chin implants such as the ones you see on this site.

Michael M. Kim, MD

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Removal

+1
There are many different types of chin implants in different shapes and sizes. Your current chin implant may be removed and replaced with another implant. I would see a good facial plastic surgeon in your area and discuss the pros and cons of removing your current implant. If you have your preoperative photographs from before your augmentation and a copy of your operative report with chin implant size this would be helpful to the new consulting surgeon as well. You should be able to find a surgeon in your area for a complimentary consultation and they would give you a fee for removal.

Michael Elam, MD