Am I Getting Work Done for the Right Reasons?

there is a recent article i read about plastic surgery....said many people get surgery with unrealistic expectations for results and without realizing what's the reason they're getting work done....what are the right reasons to get plastic surgery? ..what are the wrong ones?!?

Plastic Surgery is Right for Some but Not Everyone

+3

When you get right down to it, nobody really needs aesthetic cosmetic surgery.

It is really a matter of whether or not an individual wants aesthetic cosmetic surgery. God makes us all (and all of our parts) in different shapes and sizes, and beauty is not merely in the eyes of the beholder, but also in the eyes of the beheld. That being said, aesthetic cosmetic surgery can have a positive, powerful and lasting impact on a person's life. You may be absolutely certain that you want to have a particular procedure performed, and I am continually amazed at how thoroughly many patients have educated themselves about specific procedures prior to their consultation. Alternately, you may not yet know what possibilities exist for improving a feature that you would like to change. Or you may not be able to pinpoint exactly what feature it is that 'ages' you.

In any case, the only way to truly decide whether or not to "have something done" is to get the best information available from a source with experience and appropriate credentials, whom you trust with your well-being. That information includes a thorough understanding of all options available (both surgical and non-surgical), and it should be provided by someone that understands your aesthetic sensibility and goals. This is what I do my best to provide for every individual that I meet in consultation.

My personal aesthetic sensibility is this: a good aesthetic cosmetic surgery result is a result that looks natural, not 'done'. I always delight in the patient who reports that their friends or their colleagues at work say "You look fantastic!", but that they can't quite put their finger on why.

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Right Reasons

+1

The right reasons tend to be internal - to look and feel your best.  The wrong reasons are external in terms of changing others view of you.

What are the right reasons to have plastic surgery?

+1

If you are doing it for yourself alone it is the right reason. If you expect to change someone else's behavior (get a promotion, make a spouse more faithful etc.etc.etc.) it's the wrong reason. "expectations are frequently just pre-conceived resentments"  You wind up resenting it if the other person didn't change. You had set yourself up for failure by expecting the change in the first place.

Improving your self-confidence makes you more appealing to other people. That's how it works.

Dr Foster

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Simply stated, the "right reasons" are that you would...

+1

Simply stated, the "right reasons" are that you would feel happier for yourself with the changes that can be safely and realistically made given your own body and its starting point and limitations. It usually works better for people who have liked an area before that has now changed. Patients that have "always hated" an area have a harder time ever becoming happy with surgery.

The "wrong reasons" are to have surgery because you desire secondary gains such as keeping a job or getting a new one, saving a failing relationship or starting a new one.

Of course, having surgery if your expectations won't be met is wrong. Also, make sure you are a good healthy candidate for surgery because there is no point in taking unnecessary risks when the surgery is totally elective.

Probably the best tip is any time you are considering a...

+1

Probably the best tip is any time you are considering a procedure, do a consultation for that procedure with three reputable board certified plastic surgeons.

If any one of the three recommends against the treatment, it is probably unnecessary and you’re feeding an addiction rather than addressing an actual concern.

Minneapolis Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.