Get Rid of Love Handles and Loose Skin with Post Liposuction Garment?

It's been a year now since I had liposuction done and now (upper abdomen ). Now, I have loose skin and love handles. Will it help me to wear post liposuction garment?

Liposuction garments do not shrink excess skin 1 year after

+2

One year after liposuction is sufficient time for the development of maximal collagen tightening. The loose skin and lovehandles won't be improved this long after surgery by compression garments.

Loose skin after liposuction is preventable

+2

If you ended up with loose skin after a liposuction treatment, its doubtful that you were an appropriate liposuction candidate to begin with.

Good liposuction results depend on three critical assumptions:

1. That a patient haa youthful, elastic skin at the time of the liposuction treatment.

2. The liposuction surgeon makes an effort to preserve enough sub-cutaneous fat to conceal any contour abnormalities created by liposuction.

3. Zones of adhesion that are prone to contour problems with liposuction were fastidiously avoided during treatment.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon for advice on how to properly deal with your loose skin and love-handle issues.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

A Compression Garment will NOT Shrink or flatten Loose Skin

+2

Compression garments are commonly used after liposuction to reduce tissue swelling (edema) and promote adherence of the skin and remaining fat under the skin to the framework. The garments do not have the ability or the power to shrink loose skin. As a matter of fact, in my opinion there are no reliable and safe methods on the scene today, short of surgery, which allow skin shrinkage.

You need to see an ethical Plastic surgeon to see what would be the best course for you. Do NOT be lulled or seduced by any of the hundreds of fraudulent skin shrinking treatments out there - They do not work.

Dr. P. Aldea

Loose skin after liposuction

+1
The loose skin and love handles you have now is probably related to further weight loss you experienced following your surgery. Unfortunately, your compression garment won't help. You may want to consider a tummy tuck to tighten your skin. Best of luck

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Use Of Liposuction Garment One Year out of Surgery?

+1

You will find that the compressive garment will not be helpful to treat loose skin. It may be that you will benefit from lipectomy (direct excision of skin and adipose tissue)  of the  areas of concern.

Please make sure you consult with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Loose Skin 1 Year After Liposuction

+1

Liposuction is great for removal of fat and contouring the body. However, to get an excellent result the skin needs to retract to close the space. Poor skin tone and insufficient garment use are two reasons for lack of skin retraction.

Poor skin tone can be a result of diet, concurrent medical conditions and medications. But usually it's more related to genetics. Some people and certain cultures just tend to have more elastin and thus better skin retraction after surgery.

I'm a firm believer in wearing the garment for the first 3-4 weeks for 23 hours/day. After this I may have patients wear the garment for 12 hours/day for 3-5 weeks. Skin retraction can occur for several months after surgery. But unfortunately the tissues are well healed after a year.

The only options would be surgical excision or build the muscles underneath to fill the space (I can work).

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction garment will have no benefit

+1

Loose skin and laoe handles one year after liposuction will not be improved by wearing a compression garment. Compression garments are useful for reducting postoperative swelling, but do not improve skin elasticity. One year out, the way you look is the way you look.

Your options include living with loose skin, surgery to remove loose skin, and radiofrequency treatments (Thermage). Your best bet is to meet with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss in more detail.

Hope this helps - best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Liposuction garment a year after surgery is useless

+1

There is no point in wearing the liposuction garment a year post-op.  Your result "is what it is" at this point.  If you have loose skin, perhaps you weren't a good lipo candidate in the first place.  Was your doctor a real board certified plastic surgeon?   

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS