Where to Get a Phenol Peel?

Where can I get Phenol peel? I have sun damage on my arms and tried many treatments but no good results.

Polite dissent on Phenol Peel

+3

I have done thousands of phenol and TCA peels. They are safe, effective, and are mixed and combined in various ways. With the costs of current technology, some Practices are adding peels back to their regimens. The dilutions of croton oil with phenol newly identified in the past decade,allows one to perform phenol peels of face with shorter healing times. We modified our regimen for 5-9 day recovery 15 years ago and continued to apply it in the best patient candidates who have the time to recover.The classic two to three week recovery from phenol is the historic relegation, not the current convention.

The popularity of the newer lasers including the Mixto fractionated and its regular laser features may be as good as phenol. I do agree phenol is not recommended for the extremities, but TCA can be used, and other laser and fractionated modalities. When you were trained solely in the acetone skin prep, the full phenol formula with 2-3% croton oil, and had the skin taped, the recovery from this peel was rather intense and frightening to many patients. The patients with the dry rough creases and pure wrinkling at rest, from sunworshiping, may still need such measures in rare instances. The laser specialists have been able to refine their talents to offer safer and more effective treatment for wrinkles and thus have abandoned the use of phenol.

Where to get a phenol peel

+1

I completely disagree with Dr. Aldea and agree with Dr. Hickman.  I have used modified phenol peels for hundreds of patients over the last decade with outstanding results.  To call it a 60's treatment is incredibly close-minded, especially since the role that croton oil plays in the peel depth was only recently elucidated and revolutionized this treatment.  Lasers are appealing to patients because they sound sexy,  but they are over hyped, expensive, and can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Phenol Peels - Ancient History

+1

Because of the down time and risks, phenol peels are relegated to ancient history.  The reason is that lasers have come into their own and are safer, more predictable and have far less down time.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Phenol peels of the extremities

+1

Phenol peels of the extremities (arms and legs) is a bad idea and is contra indicated.  The blood supply of the skin of the lower body (below the face) is not as abundant as the face.  No one should should perform phenol peeling for thisl.  Trichloracetic acid would the solution of choice.  It comes in various concentrations (15% - 50%) and is used often to resurface and rejuvinate) the arms and hands.

Gary H. Manchester, MD (retired)

Phenol Peel

+1

The popularity of a phenol peel has dramitically decreased due to the intense post peel care that is required. In its place, croton oil peels have seen a rise in interest. However, the vast majority of peels are now accomplished with laser or IPL  techniques.

Phenol Peel is an Historic treatment

+1

The trouble you are encountering finding someone who does Phenol peels is clearly demonstrative of the fact that the majority of us chose to stop using it.

Sun damage to the arms cannot be safely treated with a Phenol peel (which uses BOTH Phenol and Croton oil) which is associated with heart arrythmias and permanent loss of skin color. Frankly, there is no real justification for the use of this 1960's treatment when there are so many better AND safer resurfacing modalities out there.

Look up the Sciton corporation lasers and see what a few sessions with its BBL or its Joule profractional device can do for your skin WITHOUT the downtime of a Phenol peel.

Dr. P. Aldea