Which Treatment for my Acne Scars and Hyperpigmentation? (photo)

I have now suffered from acne for 10 years and specially in the last year i got a lot of small scars. I also have lots of issues with hyperpigmentation inspite of beeing caucasian. I have been to some dermatologists, they all say my scars are TOO superficial to be filled, lasers i can't have because i get hyperpigmentation from them (i've had 3 different ones) and my skin is ultra sensitive to agressive treatments. Is it really impossible to treat my scars without worsening the problem?!

Acne and Acne Scar Treatment

+3

Treatment of acne and acne scars can be performed with a variety of methods; we have many options for the treatment of acne and acne scars, because everyone's skin has different needs.  I'm sorry to hear that you had hyperpigmentation after laser treatment.  I recommend that you discuss the Fraxel erbium laser treatment with your dermatologist in Germany, as this treatment is safe for even dark skin types.  Additionally, you may consider chemical peels as a method of addressing both acne and superficial acne scars.  The Isolaz acne treatment is another method of addressing acne, and it uses a broad-spectrum light (to kill the acne-causing bacteria) that also helps to decrease the appearance of reddish scars on the skin.

Acne, acne scar and hyperpigmentation treatment

+1
It sounds like you need to focus on getting your acne under control. As long as you continue to breakout, you will get new scars and hyperpigmentation. Speak to dermatologist about isotrtinoin or Accutane/Roaccutane. This medication can cure acne in some people. If you actually have true scars (depressions in the skin) you could consider chemical peels or laser resurfacing. I am not sure if hydroquinone is available in your country, but this can be used before a laser treatment to prevent hyperpigmentation. Good luck!

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Acne Scar Treatments

+1

Hi Anon.  The first step is to stop picking.  The hyperpigmentation and indented scars are the result of squeezing and scabbing associated with picking.  

We perform traditional Erbium laser resurfacing for indented scars.  This would also resolve the color issues.  It does not matter that your skin is sensitive or that you get hyperpigmentation because it will resolve shortly after the treatment.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Levulan And Blue Light Series Effective For Acne Patients

+1
Thank you for your question and photos. You would respond very well to a series of 3-5 levulan with blue light treatments. It will get the acne and oil production under control and last for about 6 months. Thereafter, twice a year single treatments would be required. Combined with a good skin care regimen, you can get your acne under controll and improve upon the hyperpigmentation.  Most patients are very happy with this treatment that has largely replaced accutane in practices that treat acne patients. Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Acne scars

+1

First of all, you have to stop picking!! Virtually everything I see in the photo are the results of someone trying to squeeze and pick things out.  It only makes it worse.  The pigmentation is more a hemosiderin deposit that occurs after an inflamed acne lesion fades away.  This pigment will fade but takes time.  Where you need to focus is on the treatment of the inflammatory acne in the first place and to learn to avoid picking.  Talk to your doctor about getting started on the Obagi Clenziderm System as well as a short course of systemic antibiotics until the pimple count drops.  Also consider either Omnilux Diode Light treatments for treating the acute bacterial cause as well as the inflammatory reaction.  Good luck!

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon