Will insurance cover double eyelid surgery?

I'm a 16 year old Asian girl who is struggling with having droopy eyelids. People always tell me that I look tired or mad which has caused me to try to raise my forehead in order to also raise my eyelids. While I do have double eyelids, they are not exactly permanent for they often change after a nights sleep, which had made me want to get double eyelid surgery to make my eyelid creases more defined. Will insurance cover double eyelid surgery?

Will insurance cover double eyelid surgery

+1
Hello and thanks for your question.
Insurance will not cover cosmetic or aesthetic procedure.
Dr sajjadian

Insurance Probably Won't Cover Double Eyelid Surgery

+1
Insurance does not generally cover double eyelid surgery because it is for cosmetic reasons, and not therapeutic (unless your eyelids are obstructing your vision). 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

The answer is that double fold surgery is generally not covered by health insurance.

+1
That may not stop a surgeon from telling you that it is covered.  The risk is yours.  If the insurance company denies the claim, the surgeon and surgery center will look to you or your parents to make up the difference.  The best double fold surgeons are not going to take your health insurance.  At age 16, I would recommend waiting on surgery until you are older.

+1
Hello, and thank you for your question. In general, insurance will only cover eyelid surgery if the issue is obstructing your vision. I would recommend a consult with one of the following physicians:

1) A board certified facial plastic surgeon experienced with eyelid surgery
2) A board certified oculoplastic surgeon

More advice will be possible following an exam. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1
Hi Ellered15

Sorry to hear you are having some trouble with your eyelids. Usually insurance will only cover this if it is effecting your vision. If you would like you can set up an appointment with an eye doctor who can refer you to an oculoplastic surgeon to get an opinion on whether or not you would be a candidate. 

hope this was helpful!

Kristin J. Tarbet, MD
Bellevue Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asian eyelid surgery

+1
Thank you for your question.  In general insurance only covers blepharoplasty if there is visual obstruction from the eyelids or if the lid is pushing the lashes onto the cornea.  Visual obstruction is not subjective.  This is objectively tested usually by an ophthalmologist.  Outside of these exceptions, blepharoplasty is usually considered cosmetic and the cost of surgery must be paid out of pocket.

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon