Does Nasal Swelling/deformation Return to Original Size? (photo)

Two years, ago, I came across a website called Nose Magic. It claimed that with the proper amount of pressure, your nose can be re-shaped smaller. It claimed that the nose was 70% water and can be molded and shaped any way you like. Anyone reading this, beware. My nose grew a hump looks large from the left and the right. I used to have a nose proportionate to my face, but now my nose appears too slim. I have messed with it daily for two years. If I stopped messing with it, will it go back to normal?

Nasal pressure

+2

I would stop the nasal manipulation.  If no improvement in several weeks, I would see a board certified surgeon for a evaluation.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

No "magic" for the nose

+2

There is no external product that can change the shape of the nose.  It is possible that the product you used caused some swelling which may improve with time but that is difficult to predict.  I would recommend giving your nose 6 months or so of rest and if the problem persists to consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Manipulation of Nose with Nose Magic

+2

You are unfortunately the victim of misleading advertising. Only time will tell if your nose will improve if you stop "messing" with it.

Nose Magic Deformation

+2

As you have unfortunately learned, there is no magic to reshaping the nose. It can only be done by rhinoplasty surgery. Whether your nose will return to its original shape is unknown but you need to give it at least 6 months of non-manipulated time to see what happens.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Does Nasal Swelling/deformation Return to Original Size?

+2

As my colleagues have suggested there is no non-surgical option to straighten or reduce the size of the nose. If you are two years out from using the device it is highly unlikely that the shape of your nose will change without a surgical procedure. Even following surgery, all swelling is typically gone at about 12 months. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Beware Charlitans Abound

+2

The nose is a structure composed of bone, cartilage and connective tissue. Attempting to change the shape of a solid, fixed object with pressure is a recipe for failure. If you would like to improve the appearance of your nose, you should consult with an american board of plastic surgery board certified plastic surgeon. You will need to invest emotional energy, time off work and money to achieve your goals. "Shortcuts" such as the one you described do not work. 

Best of luck, Dr Shifrin

David Shifrin, MD

+1

Dear Georgia,

Thank you for your question and photo.  They are probably saying that the nose is 70% water because the body, in general, is about 70% water.  However, you wouldnt try changing the shape of your head by pushing on it.  In the nose there are firm inflexible structures (bones) and flexible structures (cartilage).  In manipulating your nose daily, you may have caused a deformation in the cartilage over time, but the bones will not change.  The 'hump' that you speak of is right at the juncture of the bones and cartilage.  It seems the carilage may have sunken in a bit but the bones stayed stable.  If this is the case, it probably will not go back to normal.  However, there is an easy fix for this. Leave you nose alone for a few months.  Then go see a plastic surgeon for a 'non-surgical' rhinoplasty.  He will inject a filler in the area that has sunken in to make it smooth again.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

External pressure on nose

+1

From your photo, it appears that external pressure has distorted the cartilaginous septum and upper lateral cartilages that connect to the dorsal bony dorsum.  Your bony dorsum is intact, but the cartilaginous dorsum has been weakened and has lost projection over time.  Your best option may be a reduction rhinoplasty to reduce the bony hump level with the cartilage.

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Nose magic

+1

Sounds like nose magic is a good trick! There is no magic to getting a smaller nose. It can only be accomplished with surgery.

Nose Magic got you money

+1

Nose magic sounds like one of the most ridiculous products ever invented to suck money out of unsuspecting individuals.