Why does my neck look worse than before after Neck Liposuction?

I am 9 days post op and received neck lipo. My surgeon told me the fat was very hard in my neck and it was fibrosis but i don't see any change from before aside from it being bigger

Liposuction Results

+1
It takes time to see a final result from liposuction surgery. If you have questions, schedule a consultation with your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns. Best of luck!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Neck looks worse after liposuction

+1
  • There is no such thing as hard fat.
  • But your neck could have been fibrous if If you have had surgery, injury or previous liposuction in the neck.
  • In this case, a neck liposuction might be ineffective.
  • Neck liposuction causes swelling that can obscure the result at first.
  • I have seen many patients with liposuction done by doctors who are not plastic surgeons and cannot do effective liposuction.
  • If your surgery was not a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon - wait six weeks to let swelling subside further and then get a second opinion from a proper plastic surgeon if you are still concerned. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Post op Liposuction

+1
It is difficult to say without photos or a consultation. At 9 days post op your neck may be swollen and bruised causing it to appear worse.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

Neck lipo

+1
I would give it a longer amount of time. It's normal to still have swelling at none days. However, lipo of the neck works better if there is a lot of fat in the neck Superficial to the platysma muscle which is not that common in my opinion.

Edward S. Gronka, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Full Neck

+1
It's hard to say without before and after pictures. Typically we have a period of swelling and contouring that your body will undergo for approximately 2-3 months. Wearing your compression garment will be key. Close follow-up with your plastic surgeon is key. Hopefully results will become apparent to you over the next several months.

Good luck.

Earl Stephenson Junior MD DDS FA CS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS