How Long Will I Be This Swollen and Will the Appearance of the Remaining Stretchmarks Be Less Visible? (photo)

Hello and thank you for your time, I had a Tummy Tuck 28 days ago.I am concerned about the swelling. My tummy has not gone down at all. I feel very bloated/heavy, every single day. I also had my flanks lipo'd. Is this normal? And, I had the surgery to remove stretchmarks, or at least the ones below my navel; I am very disappointed that the remaining stretchmarks are so visible. The did not look that bad above my navel, will the appearance diminish as the swelling goes down? They seemed to have grown.

Stretch marks and swelling after tummy tuck

+3

Thanks for your questions and pictures.  At 4 weeks, the swelling to your abdomen should start to diminish.  The addition of liposuction can add to prolonged swelling time.  Make sure you are wearing a good compression garment and consider lymphatic massage as an option to help decrease swelling.  Stretch marks usually will become less prominent as the swelling decreases.  Make sure you ask these questions to your surgeon.  Good luck.

How Long Will I Be This Swollen and Will the Appearance of the Remaining Stretchmarks Be Less Visible?

+2

Most patients will have swelling after a tummy tuck for at least 3 months.  At this point most but not of the swelling will have resolved.  The last bit of swelling usually takes another 3 - 6 months. Most patients feel there is less swelling in the morning and more as the day goes on especially in patients who are more active during the day.  I encourage patients to wear some type of compression for the first 6 weeks at least.  Many patients choose to wear it for longer until they feel the swelling has resolved completely. This will certainly vary from patient to patient. Stretch marks tend to swell more than the immediately surrounding skin but this swelling will also resolve with time.

Best of luck

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

+1

As always, preop photos would add to the ability of online surgeons to respond to questions such as yours. 

As to the stretch marks, the remaining ones are usually larger, but less wrinkly. Once the redness of wound healing inflammation is gone, typically they are less noticeable than they were before surgery. The flash exaggerates the appearance in these photos. 

Swelling usually is mostly gone by 3 months, all gone by 6-12 months. The contour on these views suggests the possibility of a seroma, or fluid collection. A call to your surgeon, or better a visit can clarify that possibility, which would require aspiration or drain insertion.

Please consider reposting with pre-op photos. All the best. 

+1

Understanding the risk/benefit of a full TT is very important before you undergo this operation. It is obvious you did not. Plus there appears to be residual seroma that could need drainage. If your chosen surgeon will not help than seek an other boarded PS to render care.