I Am a Truck Driver & I Want to Know How Long Before I Can Go out After Facelift? The Truck Really Pounds the Pavement. (photo)

Wondering if the avoidance of exercise is due to the jarring of the face, or raising the blood pressure.

Recovering from facelift

+2

It is important to rest properly after a facelift, as you do not want to harm the work performed by your surgeon. In general, it is important you do the following after a facelift:

1) Sleep with your head elevated
 2) Refrain from intense physical activity for at least 4-5 weeks
 3) Rest adequately for the first 2 weeks after your surgery

Refraining from exercise is mainly due to the elevated heart rate that can increase post-surgical swelling. Certain exercises such as running can also cause your head to move up and down repeatedly, which will not help your healing if it is too early. Returning to work depends on the job of the patient, and in your case, it may be a good idea to give it some extra time. I recommend 2 weeks off if the job does not have any physical requirements, so you will want to give it a bit more time if the ride can sometimes be rough. Prior to having any surgery, this should be mentioned to your prospective surgeon. They may have a specific set of guidelines they would like you to follow. I hope this helps, and good luck to you.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

A full, comprehensive facelift with quick recovery techniques, but your type of work requires a different recovery timetable

+1

I’ve been practicing oculofacial plastic surgery for about 20 years and face lifting surgery is one of the things that I do most frequently. In the 90s, face lifting involved general anesthesia with the use of large dressings and multiple tubes called drains that are placed under the skin to get rid of fluid. General anesthesia also makes use of a tube in the throat to paralyze the body and uses another tube for respiration. Over the course of time, I developed my own quick recovery full face lifting procedure by using local anesthesia with LITE™ IV sedation instead of general anesthesia. By this procedure, I am able to do fine tuning of the facelift because there are no tubes that are impairing me from positioning the person’s face.

Face lifting involves lifting the skin away from the underlying tissues called superficial muscular aponeurotic system, or SMAS. This is serves as the foundation or the connection between the deeper muscles that connect to the skin. As described in my book “The Fine Art of Looking Younger”, aging involves volume loss where you have loosening of the SMAS, as well as stretching and sagging of the skin. In order to properly lift the face and neck, I make an opening under the chin to tighten a muscle called the platysma. In addition, we lift the skin and do an incision at the temple behind the ear which is hidden very strategically. You can imagine that lifting all this skin requires a lot of time.

Facelifts are not done the same way in every patient. In my perspective, I customize the procedure to the needs of the patient and their anatomy. As a general rule of thumb, a proper lift that addresses all the key components has the best result with the longest effect. Our patients after a facelift usually get back to work in a week to 10 days depending on the amount of skin that was lifted, but this is for people with more sedentary jobs and work indoors. Patients may also have different amounts of swelling - the most swelling occurs 2 weeks to a month after the procedure. Swelling can last anywhere from 6 months to a year, but this type of swelling is not significant. With your type of work that requites to be out on the road and under the sun, with a lot of jarring from the road, I would recommend that you take it easy for at least 3 weeks to a month before you return to work. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for your question.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Truck Driving after Facelift?

+1

Dear Cherrie,

Thank you for your post.  I have my patients use a supportive facial compression garment 1 -2 weeks after facelift, but in you, I would suggest using it while driving a truck even after that.  I would say that 2 weeks is probably safe to drive.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Returning to work after face lift

+1

Hello Cherrie,

Thank you for the question and the photo.  You may want to consider a MACS (minimal access cranial suspension) face lift and perhaps some fat grafting.  I think the two together may give you a very good result with low downtime.  You should be able to safely return to work at 2 weeks if needed, 3 weeks if you really want to be safe.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Return to truck driving after facelift

+1

A limited incision ("mini") lift might be right for you.  I think you could return to work within a week or two of the procedure.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

I Am a Truck Driver & I Want to Know How Long Before I Can Go out After Facelift? The Truck Really Pounds the Pavement.

+1

It is best to avoid activities that cause increases in blood pressure for about two weeks following a facelift.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facelifts, facelift revisions, and facial procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

If you have a minimal incision facelift, the recovery is a couple of days because of the limited tissue dissection.

Facelift recovery

+1

Most people can do whatever they want by 2-3 weeks.  You need to be near your doctor for followup though.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Driving Truck after a Facelift

+1

Since a professional truck driver is long hours and can be stressful, I recommend three week waiting time after an uncomplicated facelift. Earlier may be a painful distraction to safe driving.

Dennis Hurwitz, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

When Can I Go Out After a Facelift?

+1

Hi.  I tell patients that they need to do no strenuous activity for the first 2 weeks after surgery to prevent any post operative bleeding.  After this I have patients avoid more then a little head turning so that the muscles that have been tightened can heal in place for the next 4 weeks.  Going back to work after 2 weeks after surgery should be fine.  

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon