I'm 33, 5'6", 180 lbs, with one child. Lost 80 lbs a few years ago. Would I be a good tummy tuck candidate? (Photo)

I went from 247 lbs. to 153 lbs. in 2007-2008. Gained some weight after surgery for Endometriosis in 2011. Have been around 180 lbs. the last couple of years. I exercise five times a week for 30-45 minutes and try to keep my food intake down. Mostly drink water. Was told by doctor that I have a lot of loose skin. It hangs and is uncomfortable. I have had it since I was in my teens. Even at my lowest weight, I still had the hanging belly. Would I be a good candidate for a tummy tuck?

After carefully reviewing your photos...

I have carefully reviewed your pictures and you really do represent a good candidate for a tummy tuck. Liposuction alone would not help you because of so much skin redundancy. One thing we tell our patients all the time is that you cannot exercise your skin. A tummy tuck and other body contouring procedures can really create a beautiful transformation that gets rid of the excess skin and really gives a dramatically improved silhouette. Make sure when searching for a physician that he is board-certified in plastic surgery to ensure the best results for your surgery. Hope this helps!

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck would be great

You have done most of the hard work already. A tummy tuck surgery would certainly appear to be a great procedure for you. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will give you even more information about your candidacy for the procedure. As long as your physical exam is as expected, you have normal protein levels, are not a smoker or uncontrolled diabetic, and have reasonable expectations, you will probably qualify nicely for the procedure. Based on your photos, I might recommend considering a fleur de lis version of the tummy tuck for best results.  

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

I'm 33, 5'6", 180 lbs, with one child. Lost 80 lbs a few years ago. Would I be a good tummy tuck candidate?

Congratulations on your successful weight loss and keeping it off. Your determination has proven to be a great accomplishment.  At my clinic, we ask our patients to be 20 lbs to their ideal weight in order to achieve the best result.  A tummy tuck involves suturing of the abdominal wall, liposuction in the upper part of the abdomen and the removal of excess skin. Seek an in house consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your surgical options.  Keep up the good work and good luck with your goals.

YES! a great candidate for Tummy Tuck... Best to seek in person opinions from only boarded Plastic Surgeons in your city/area... 

Tummy Tuck Surgical Candidate

Congratulations on considerable weight loss.  It appears from your story and photos that you would be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery.  I would recommend that you are at your goal weight and your weight has been stable for 6 months prior to surgery to obtain the best results.  Obtain a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to see if you are medically a good candidate for surgery.  

Good Luck,
Trey Aquadro, M.D.

Auburn, AL

Candidate for tummy tuck

Congratulations on  your weight loss and attempts to stay in a healthy range. From review of your photos it seems you would be an excellent candidate for improvement with tummy tuck. Removing this excess loose skin should help with your exercise as well. You want to be at a stable weight even if it is not your ideal, and it is important to stay in this range after your surgery to maximize the aesthetic improvement.

Stanley G. Poulos, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

TT candidate

You seem to be a good candidate for a TT. Most of us use a BMI of 30 as upper limit of "safety" and yours is 29.  If you are still losing weight, you will have a better overall outcome when you have reached your ideal, but if 180 is a realistic stable weight, I think you can expect a nice result. 

Thanks for your question and photos, all the best. 

Absolutely

Dear tummytuckwish81,

You appear to be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck.  A tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) will allow removal of excess skin, reduction of excess fat, and tightening of the abdominal wall.  You will probably be best served by an extended tummy tuck with liposuction performed at the same time of the upper abdomen and flanks.  

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Abdominoplasty

Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) for an exam, and to discuss your goals and expectations.  Based on your photos, you are an excellent candidate for this surgery, and should expect a great result.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Abdominoplasty

Based on your pictures- you are a very good candidate for Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) with flank and hip liposuction. Your abdominal wall muscles wil probably be tightened. Make sure to schedule an appointment with an experinced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.