Genetic Dark Circles- should I get a Restylane injection? (photo)

I have severe genetic dark circles. The under-eye area is also clearly sunken. Very rarely, I will wake up in the morning with my under-eye area swollen just a bit, and it looks SO much better like that! I wish it would last! Though I am only 20-years-old, I also have a few under-eye wrinkles. Is it wise to get Restylane injections now, or is it advisable to wait until I'm old? Is there another option you think is better? Thank you so much! :)

Restylane or Fillers for Under Eye Circles

+1
It is difficult to asses from the photo if you would benefit from fillers.  The dark circles under the eyes are genetic and difficult to treat and improve.  If there is indeed a hollow to be filled under the eyes than Belotero or Restylane can both be utilized to improve the cosmetic appearance of this area.  It is most important to find a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience in cosmetic dermatology for the best results.

Restylane for genetic under eye circles

+1
I use a fair bit of restylane for the tear trough area, to reduce the depression/groove, as well as to reduce the coloration of the area (often a shadow effect). Restylane or restylane fine lines are both great options here, but to determine if you're the right candidate, a dermatologist would have to assess you in person and feel the skin and see if the darkness can be improved with filler, or by other means. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Genetic Dark Circles- should I get a Restylane injection?

+1
Always IN PERSON examination is needed. But in my practice I recommend Belotero Balance to avoid the Tinsel effect...

Fillers for dark circles under eyes

+1
Restylane is an excellent choice for dark circles under the eyes. I think you should get a fair amount of improvement. Be aware that bruising is common. Some say that there is less bruising with cannula use but I do  not use cannulas so can't state that for sure.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Restylane in theh tear trough

+1
Restylane can be great for genetically dark "under eye" circles. Besides the tear trough, building up the upper cheek helps soften the transition between these two zones. There is no penalty for starting young. In fact, the filler may stimulate collagen production, which gives longer lasting results. In addition to Restylane, non-sedating anthistamines (i.e. Zytrec, Allegra, etc), a good concealer, and an eye cream that has caffeine will help.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Dark circles

+1
FureElise,

without an exam it is difficult to say what can or can not be done for you.  The etiology of dark under eye circles is a topic that is much argued by the cosmetic surgical community.  Depending on the possible etiology of the dark circles the treatments are varied and there is a possibly that a medical treatment might not be the best choice for you.  As per the wrinkles botox works great and as for the lack of fullness fillers may be used.   The overall treatment will highly depend on your physical exam findings..

Ernesto Hayn, MD