5 days post Tummy Tuck w/out drains and Breast Lift. What are the signs and symptoms of tearing muscle repair? Can it be fixed?

I have had a lot of discomfort in upper abs from muscle repair. All of a sudden after a painful cough it feels like it has relaxed some. This makes me nervous that I have torn the repair. What are the signs and symptoms of tearing the repair? Can it be fixed? I have an appt on Monday but this is totally stressing me out. Also I have not been able to have a bowel movement until an hour after this happened.

Muscle Repair Issues

+1
Pain with coughing is normal after a tummy tuck.  Most surgeons use very strong sutures and multiple layers of repair to avoid loss.  Typically you hear of feel sutures popping and you notice a new bulge that wasn't there before. If you did not experience that, then loss of the muscle repair is unlikely. Try not to worry and discuss this matter with your surgeon at your next visit. Best wishes on your recovery!

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

+1
Relax. What you have experienced is not unusual. When the muscle stitches "pop" patients report actually hearing them.  If this happens, it usually involves the stitches in the upper abdomen. Patients may notice a new found bulge in the upper abdomen. This may or may not represent the  release of the muscle in the area. Sometimes, the patient may form a localized seroma ( collection of fluid) which may appear as a bulge in the upper abdomen.Only a physical exam by your surgeon will determine if the cough affected yo in a negative way. Good luck

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD